Food Portions

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strenuous exercise pushes up BG levels,ahh some good news at last ;) Seriously I have heard that, or perhaps read it somewhere else. They recommended walking. Even a little jiggle as you are doing housework helps apparently

Lol. Housework definitely pushes up my levels, jiggle or not! Great excuse not to do any.

Really Bluetit? I love my fruit. Although what I have been eating is blackberries, Strawberries , raspberries' with low sugar and low fat yogurt, How about bananas? I also read that sweet potatoes actually lower the BG. Berries are abundance in the summer, meaning fresh ones but in the winter can only get tinned or frozen and not keen.I read that fruit did not have an impact on BG because of natural sugars. I have an appointment with the Nurse on the 12th July and she will be giving me diet advice, but I feel that she is going to tell me to eat all the things that the NHS suggests, yet these things could make my prediabetes worse. Yes I will certainly get a BG monitor, think I need one. What on earth do you eat for a little snack if you are peckish? lol

I think you will find the advice is to ditch all low fat products and eat the real thing. Much better for us and for our BS levels.
Bananas are about the worst of the fruits. Instant glucose, which is why athletes munched on them during competitions before glucose tablets were allowed.
Natural sugars are still sugars and raise BS levels. Same with honey.
Sweet potatoes have exactly the same amount of carbs as ordinary ones. They just take a little longer to digest.
You have to be very lucky to find a nurse that goes against the NHS dietary guidelines.
Snacks - plenty of threads on the forum about snacks if you do a search. Personally I never snack or eat between meals. I am never hungry. My low carb/high fat diet sees to that.

Reactions: spook_kate_
D

Deleted Account

A meter will tell you. Some find strenuous exercise pushes up levels (it does with me) whilst more gentle exercise lowers them. If your levels are high before you eat they will be even higher after your meal. Without a meter you will be working blind.

I would have thought you need the fuel for your hike before you have the hike, not afterwards!
Surely, it depends why you have a portion size. If your interest is only in BG levels, then you could eat a larger plate with less carbs (more fat, perhaps). Whereas, if your interest is also regarding your weight, isn't it also useful to consider what you are doing with the "fuel".
Exercise is an interesting one regarding BG impact. The affect depends on the type of exercise. Interval training (short spurts) will always raise your BG regardless how high intensity. Prolonged exercise, is more likely to lower your BG. An hour long cycle ride up and down hills will lower my BG. However, an hour long amble across the fields will do nothing to my BG as it will not raise my heart rate.
As for my hike - I eat more before and after I walk.

Reactions: Struma

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado is the only fruit I eat. It IS my bf with celery. Then I add some to each meal as it fills me up with all its natural healthy fat and fiber. It also slows and spike or drop. I eat less than 20 carbs per day and also follow the Atkins induction phase but with healthier foods and zero grains or starches. My meter doesn't allow them. I as well see a spike from green beans as well as all other legumes. I eat asparagus most often. No blip. Even one radish can jack me up.
I eat 4 small meals and a few snacks. Meals are quite small but filling. I need to make sure I have enough fat in them or I will get hungry. They need to be very low carb or it will trigger hunger. I moderate protein as well. This is what my meter tells me works. We all have different tolerances and I am very carb sensitive. Protein will raise me too if I eat too much. It's all a balancing act and different meals act different at different times of day. No carbs or protein for me in the morning but I ramp up through the day and end the day with most of them at dinner

Snacks are nuts or pumpkin seeds. Many like hard boiled eggs or cheese. I would need insulin for the egg. Maybe not the cheese. Never tried it as I don't eat dairy often.

So to answer your question, my portions are very small but I eat them 4 times per day ( 8,12,3 and 6:30) with a couple of nuts or raw veg as snacks in between. I don't like feeling full, I like just not being hungry and a few bites will do it. Without my avocado at each meal I'd probably be hungry. You could have avocado as a snack too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely, it depends why you have a portion size. If your interest is only in BG levels, then you could eat a larger plate with less carbs (more fat, perhaps). Whereas, if your interest is also regarding your weight, isn't it also useful to consider what you are doing with the "fuel".
Exercise is an interesting one regarding BG impact. The affect depends on the type of exercise. Interval training (short spurts) will always raise your BG regardless how high intensity. Prolonged exercise, is more likely to lower your BG. An hour long cycle ride up and down hills will lower my BG. However, an hour long amble across the fields will do nothing to my BG as it will not raise my heart rate.
As for my hike - I eat more before and after I walk.

I bow to your superior knowledge on prolonged exercise. I don't normally do this. It is mainly gentle walking exercise and odd burst of strenuous that I do. I agree, large portions can be made up of low carb veggies and extra fats/proteins. I am lost though on the need to "fuel up" after exercise. By fuel up I take it the poster means carbs as he doesn't eat much fat.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
HelenSaraMay.
Avocado is one of the fruits that I do not like, it does not seem to have any flavour. I have to also be careful not to lack any essential foods fibre etc because I have a heart condition. At the moment I am eating veg and lean meats fish berries, salads. I am glad that you mentioned asparagus because I like those. What about Swede or Turnip?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are starchy veggies and likely to push up your levels (along with many other root vegetables) but again, a meter will tell you if they are danger foods for you.
Both are well under 10 percent carb - I can eat them without spiking.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How on earth do people have a stew?It seems most things push up BG..So I presume carrots are a no go either? I cannot help but fear that somewhere down the line maybe some people are going to be suffering some deficiency somewhere. It seem's that most things that the NHS advice its a no go. Different forums giving different advice, so confusing. I click onto some links here and the advice is, yes you can eat a banana, or this or that. What about beans lentils,cous cous,quiona? I see that a courgette is on the list. Just bought a spiralizer where you make certain veg into noodles,looks like I can only use it for courgettes lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How on earth do people have a stew?It seems most things push up BG..So I presume carrots are a no go either? I cannot help but fear that somewhere down the line maybe some people are going to be suffering some deficiency somewhere. It seem's that most things that the NHS advice its a no go. Different forums giving different advice, so confusing. I click onto some links here and the advice is, yes you can eat a banana, or this or that. What about beans lentils,cous cous,quiona? I see that a courgette is on the list. Just bought a spiralizer where you make certain veg into noodles,looks like I can only use it for courgettes lol

You will get the same answer from us all. Until you get a meter you will never know which of these foods you personally can cope with without causing BS levels to spike. Each one of us has a different tolerance level. As you are not yet diabetic but in the pre-diabetic range you may find you can cope with some of these carbs. You may find you can't. A meter will tell you.

Have a look at this and follow the links
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Please tell me broccoli,greens,white cabbage,sprouts are ok?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You will get the same answer from us all. Until you get a meter you will never know which of these foods you personally can cope with without causing BS levels to spike. Each one of us has a different tolerance level. As you are not yet diabetic but in the pre-diabetic range you may find you can cope with some of these carbs. You may find you can't. A meter will tell you.

Have a look at this and follow the links
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I certainly intend to get a monitor..It seem's like a very low carb is the way to go..So will carry on with this x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make soups and stews with a vlc mushroom gravy.
I sauté some mushrooms and a little onion or green onion. Throw it in my blender and add garlic, ( I used garlic olive oil) Sage , oregano and other herbs to taste. Then I add organic broth to desired consistency and blend. It can be used as a gravy or soup/ stew base. When I first concocted it for thanksgiving we were eating it with a spoon. It freezes well too. I have some frozen in two ounce containers to heat and pour on chicke, turkey, lamb and beef.

For soup/ stew just add veggies like more mushrooms, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, Swiss chard.

No root veggies for me either

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I make soups and stews with a vlc mushroom gravy.
I sauté some mushrooms and a little onion or green onion. Throw it in my blender and add garlic, ( I used garlic olive oil) Sage , oregano and other herbs to taste. Then I add organic broth to desired consistency and blend. It can be used as a gravy or soup/ stew base. When I first concocted it for thanksgiving we were eating it with a spoon. It freezes well too. I have some frozen in two ounce containers to heat and pour on chicke, turkey, lamb and beef.

For soup/ stew just add veggies like more mushrooms, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy, dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, Swiss chard.

No root veggies for me either

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your post Kristin251 I just use a low sodium stock, If I want to thicken it I add a dash of Worcester sauce and tomato puree. Sometimes I omit the gravy and just have tinned tomatoes. I have been mainly eating courgettes, asparagus, and pretty much of what you have mentioned.I find the stew though with all those types of ingredients a bit much of the same taste in one pot. When people are taking their BG straight after eating, even if we were to eat a carrot, surely it would eventually go back down after a couple of hours? I am worried that I am missing out on other nutrients, such as pulses, couscous, quinoa etc I have bought a spiralizer and been spiralizing courgettes, the stork of the broccoli, cucumber, and courgettes for salads. I have lost weight though which is a good thing. I have stuck with just eating berries, and Kiwi fruit. I have had a small portion of carrots though just once a week, but the rest of the time I have cut all below ground veg out. I miss my barley and pulses though

Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I meant to say that when I first started this change way of eating, at first I was getting severe headaches and actually feeling sick. I also felt very tired, but read somewhere this is normal at first, now though, all that has passed

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Broccoli is ok... and good for iron.
Cougettes are good and delicioys fried with butter and pesto and an egg broken on top and soft and runny is delicious.
Not tried bean sprouts or any form of cabbage as they dont go thru my digestive system well. Cant give info on that.
Broccoli and cauliflower roasted with cheese is yummy..

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your post Kristin251 I just use a low sodium stock, If I want to thicken it I add a dash of Worcester sauce and tomato puree. Sometimes I omit the gravy and just have tinned tomatoes. I have been mainly eating courgettes, asparagus, and pretty much of what you have mentioned.I find the stew though with all those types of ingredients a bit much of the same taste in one pot. When people are taking their BG straight after eating, even if we were to eat a carrot, surely it would eventually go back down after a couple of hours? I am worried that I am missing out on other nutrients, such as pulses, couscous, quinoa etc I have bought a spiralizer and been spiralizing courgettes, the stork of the broccoli, cucumber, and courgettes for salads. I have lost weight though which is a good thing. I have stuck with just eating berries, and Kiwi fruit. I have had a small portion of carrots though just once a week, but the rest of the time I have cut all below ground veg out. I miss my barley and pulses though
Welcome to the forum from another prediabetic :) If you miss pulses there is quite a lot of different amounts of carbs in different lentils aso. I think it's green lentils that is the best? Anyway, look at all the packets find the the lowest carbs pr 100g and try it out. Maybe if you add some fat, coconut cream, and maybe mushroom or other vegies you wont spike? I was very strict in the beginning and driving my family crazy, but now after more than half a year as a prediabetic I'm relaxing a bit. I've lost the weight I can lose. I cook stew with potatoes, for husband, and avoid them, maybe just one or two squares, and fill up on mushroom, cauliflower or other vegies and creamy sauces, even put in the odd carrot. I've just found out I can have a small portion of creamy potatoes, together with plenty of vegies and meat without spiking, also a few chips with mushroom sauce :D Not all are as lucky, so be strict in the beginning till you feel in control, and then experiment a bit. I've also been able to have quinoa as a base in salads, no spikes, luckily. I feel like I have plenty of choice!! Good luck :)