Foot massagers..GOOD or BAD

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
For a gift i received a Homedics Foot massager and wanted to know if these had an adverse effect on diabetics? I appreciate that diabetics need to look after their feet and nerve damage can occur etc but i would of thought that an electronic foor massager would HELP with circulation and AID good care!....it does say in the instructions "NOT recommended for use by Diabetis" however this could be protecting the manufacturers interest rather than be medical ly proven

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi LWA,

Usually the product information will say 'not safe for diabetics' although you must not assume it's safe to use if it fails to mention this, I would check first with your diabetes care team before using the foot massage.

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Does anyone know the effects that the massager would have....i would assume that it will increase circulation so will have a positive effect or on the flip side im not sure if it could possible cause nerve damage??

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This appliance should NEVER be used by any individual suffering from any physical ailment that would
limit the user’s capacity to operate the controls or who has sensory deficiencies in the lower half of
their body.
• NEVER use directly on swollen or inflamed areas or skin eruptions.
• If you feel any discomfort whilst using this appliance, discontinue use and consult your doctor.
• This is a non-professional appliance, designed for personal use and intended to provide a soothing
massage to worn muscles. DO NOT use as a substitute for medical attention.

I have assumed that the foot massager you have is the heated one - I looked at the instruction booklet on line and suspect the above lines are the reason (my bolding) - anything used on your feet if you are diabetic can be dangerous if you have reduced sensitivity (even if you don't in my opinion)-

As to the benefits to one of these as regards increased circulation etc I think that is open to debate and my personal feeling is that if someone is doing what we should be - that is washing feet daily and checking for sores, broken skin etc and moisturising then that will have the same stimulation as one of these - but that's just my opinion.

For me I wouldn't use it even though I have no foot problems or nerve damage etc - but you may be happy to and that's fine :) - maybe someone else will come along later who has more experience of using one and can give you moe info

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi LWA!

I don't know anything about foot massagers, but:

People over-generalise about diabetic feet! If you have neuropathy in your legs/feet, then you have to take a lot of care not to injure/burn your feet because of the reduced feeling. If you find that sores, cuts etc don't heal normally for you because of high BG, then, again, you have to take a lot of care not to injure your feet as it could get infected very quickly. However, if neither of the above applies to you, you don't need to treat your feet any differently from anyone else. I discussed this with my diabetes consultant at my last appointment and he said until/unless I have any neuropathy I should carry on as normal, including walking about the house without shoes on, but if i do start with neuropathy, I would then need to take much more care.

I can't tell you what to do, but if I had a foot massager I'd use it and not worry about it.

Smidge

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm sure that the Bernstein book has a big section about foot care that suggests that you shouldn't even take long baths because it might soften the skin on your feet too much and make sores more likely in the future.

I'm inclined to agree with Smidge though, if you aren't suffering from severe neuropathy, and use it sensibly, then it's difficult to see what harm it could cause. As you suggest it might even be beneficial.

(Although I'm not the best person to give sensible advice on this - two weeks ago, the day after being told by my Doctor that I should never walk barefoot due to neuropathy, I decided to try bare foot running on a treadmill, and promptly burned the soles of both feet. Very stupid).

ceejayblue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a JML circulation booster and am recently diagnosed diabetic but a friend, who is also diabetic, has had her circulation booster longer than me and finds its a great help. I love to use mine and I definitely feel the benefit when I have swollen ankles (side effect of my blood pressure tablets).

I'm sure it said on the packaging of mine that it is suitable for diabetics.

LWA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soaps
Thanks for your advice and experiances. As 'smidge' noted i also think people over generailise about diabetes and possible complications and providing we keep a good balance this reduces the chances. i have seen no-where suggesting that foot massagers (and the sensastion of) can contribute towards nerve damage and considering my general good health i think i will continue to use mine in accordance with recommendations.

Emily Lucas

I discuss it with my diabetes consultant and he said YES you can use Foot Massager in normal life Until and Unless you have neuropathy. So I recommend Use it in normal life but if you are a neuropathic problem then consult with your doctor.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a gift i received a Homedics Foot massager and wanted to know if these had an adverse effect on diabetics? I appreciate that diabetics need to look after their feet and nerve damage can occur etc but i would of thought that an electronic foor massager would HELP with circulation and AID good care!....it does say in the instructions "NOT recommended for use by Diabetis" however this could be protecting the manufacturers interest rather than be medical ly proven
3A9F2395-8836-4C06-97E5-EFF3A050FF36.jpeg

I have been using this foot massager for 10 years and it seems to help my Neuropathy practically disappeared.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wish I could use one. My dear husband bought me one. But I have a heart pacemaker. It’s a definite no ,

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Golf ball, bare foot, roll ball with foot on painful area (as in the way policeman's heel's treated) works wonders.

:)