mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi, I get very dry and cracked feet so I thought I'd buy a foot spa. Went on Argos website and found one, looked on details and there was written "not recommended for those with diabetes, varicose veins........."
Anyone know why ? I thought it would help !

WhitbyJet

Its because us diabetics sometimes lose sensation in our extremities; if we have lost sensitivity to hot and cold, then a foot spa (or hot water bottle) can burn before we realize it has occurred.
That, however, is for people who have in fact lost sensation in their feet; if you know that your feet are fine (make sure your doctor/nurse check your feet), then there's no reason not to use one.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for reply. That makes sense.

WhitbyJet

Mo, dont forget to use a good moisturiser/cream on your feet to prevent dry, hard and cracked skin.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks, I do moisturise but still very dry. I use Dove ! Any idea of a better one ? I've tried the Scholl cracked foot stuff and not much luck.

Sunshine_Kisses

I know it might sound odd, but I rub really generous amounts of coconut oil into my feet last thing at night, then sleep with socks on so it all gets absorbed... Seems to help - and you could probably use olive oil too :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Sunshine. Never thought of using olive oil. Once a week enough ?

WhitbyJet

I use Body Butters from the Body Shop or Foot Cream from Lush, apply it thickly, put on a pair of socks and leave overnight, my feet are baby soft the next day, or try E45.

Sunshine_Kisses

No probs! :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise - low-ish carb, pescatarian and attempting to become a runner ;-)

kellibabi

Sorry, am now having a hard time NOT picturing Mo1905 giving himself a pedicure & a nice shade of polish on his toenails!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I give my feet a VERY gentle rub with a pumice after washing and then a thin coat of vaseline seems to work wonders I put the vaseline on every day but only pumice about once a week .I have beautiful smooth tootsies :lol:
CAROL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
mo
Bernstein is against soaking diabetic feet as softening the skin might make it vulnerable to infection. I usually follow Bernstein, but not in this matter. I swim 3 times most weeks, and don't worry. I know I keep my blood glucose DOWN and have normal sensitivity in my feet.
Hana
PS if I ever develop neuropathy, I might think again.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a foot spa and add a little olive oil and lavendar to the water. I recently discovered Flexitol Heel Balm which is the best moisturiser I've ever tried

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
kellibabi said:
Sorry, am now having a hard time NOT picturing Mo1905 giving himself a pedicure & a nice shade of polish on his toenails!
Trust me, you would not like to see this lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thundercat said:
I recently discovered Flexitol Heel Balm which is the best moisturiser I've ever tried

I'll second that, after a week the feet are soft like a baby's :)