Forgetting you now have diabetes

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else get this when they're new?
I have done it a few times now. Once led to exercise-induced hypo, once after downing ice cream, popcorn, coke in a movie - and a couple times where I've forgotten to bring my kit with me (luckily remembered before going far).
How do you remind yourself?

I try to bring my bag with me everywhere, which acts as a reminder when I have it. But being a 30yo bloke sometimes having to explain my "handbag" to every single person pisses me off. I got myself a nice little leather bag with a shoulder strap - but it is certainly not a "manly" look, in the traditional sense. Don't want to carry a full size bag everywhere, that'd be impractical.

Reactions: Bon83 and Snapsy
D

Deleted Account

I have has diabetes for over ten years and still sometimes forget to take my kit with me.
Being on a pump has helped - at least I can't forget my insulin. But I still forget my meter.

And I have rushed up to the coffee station at the climbing centre to shovel spoonfuls of sugar into my mouth when I forgot my dextrose.

The only advice I can offer is a small spare meter which you keep in your jacket pocket with a packet of spare dextrose. There is no need for the bulky case the meter comes in.
Harder to carry spare insulin because it goes out of date. But if you forget to take it with you, you just have to eat less carby meals like a burger without the bun.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @gavin86 I read your post with interest and sympathy and a little bit of dampness round my eyes, actually.

Being the owner of the world's most overstuffed capacious tweed handbag I have no trouble lugging the diabetes kitchen sink around with me, but then I am a laydeeeee so it's not an unusual sight to see a handbag in tow.

I never, ever forget my diabetes. It's like a yapping dog* that follows me all the way from home to work and back again every day! Sometimes I wish I could just leave it behind and run away as fast and as far as I can! Tried it once. It bloody came with me!

But actually forget it - well not really!

Love Snapsy
:)

*I don't have a dog.......

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else get this when they're new?
I have done it a few times now. Once led to exercise-induced hypo, once after downing ice cream, popcorn, coke in a movie - and a couple times where I've forgotten to bring my kit with me (luckily remembered before going far).
How do you remind yourself?

I try to bring my bag with me everywhere, which acts as a reminder when I have it. But being a 30yo bloke sometimes having to explain my "handbag" to every single person pisses me off. I got myself a nice little leather bag with a shoulder strap - but it is certainly not a "manly" look, in the traditional sense. Don't want to carry a full size bag everywhere, that'd be impractical.
Hi there I know the feeling! To be honest it's usually when I fall asleep on the couch and then wake up groggy at 10 o clock thinking oh dear must take long acting insulin. I believe I am overly paranoid about hypos (not that they aren't dangerous) but it is affecting my life quite a lot really. Anyway I am off topic. When out running I have a small running belt that fits a meter and a couple glucose gels its probably no less conspicuous than the man bag you have but it's quite sporty and not lady like so may suit you. I recently did some trail running and was soo envious of those who were able to go off clutching a couple of gels and wait till the water station. I've found sports stuff is quite good at accommodating equipment. I'm ok in winter coz my running jacket has enough pockets for meter etc but I don't suppose you want to around in sports clothes all the time.