Forum support for alternative diets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think we give those people who are on a diet different to LCHF enough support on the forum ?.
I have noticed many times that if someone says they are not doing LCHF but are following another diet and are doing well on it they get hardly any of the positive or the well done replies that those following LCHF do

Reactions: 8 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
This has been an area of contention on the forum for a long time. I don't like to jump the gun and try to predict the future, but I thought I'd step in and just throw out a pre-emptive warning to everyone planning to take part in this debate:

I will leave this thread open for the time being but let's have a healthy (no pun intended!) debate. If things start getting too heated, the thread will be closed and that will be the end of that.

At the end of the day, the DCUK forum is here to accommodate for everyone, regardless of their past, present or future dietary choices. We provide a platform where you have the freedom to make your own choices and improve your health in the ways that work best for you.

Reactions: 12 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Who cares if the cat is black or white, as long as he catches the mouse.

Reactions: 20 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that they are in a minority. LCHF certainly won't be for everyone but there's no denying facts, stick with it and your control will improve. I think most here get support. If anything, it's the other way around. Someone will say how good LCHF is and someone else will try to pick holes in it.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I havnt really seen many posts about other types of diets. I did see a thread about the Newcastle diet but as I didnt think it was right for me I didnt post a reply. I can see where you are coming from but I dont think people intentiously dont reply because its not LCHF but more 'stick with what you know'. Diabetes is such a personal journey and what works for one may not work for another and I for one am open minded about others choices. I have seen that some do get a bit carried away and insulted even on some of the threads but that is human nature. You have made a good point and I look forward to following the thread to see what others think.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the VLC/Newcastle Dieters would agree they get poor support - certainly doesn't look that way to me.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is VLC if you dont mind me asking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed many times that if someone says they are not doing LCHF but are following another diet and are doing well on it they get hardly any of the positive or the well done replies that those following LCHF do

I can't say I have noticed a lack of support when a member is doing well, no matter what diet they are following. It's when they are not doing well that support is most needed, and it's then when members relate their own experiences in order to help.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are two groups here, who can be driven by different factors.

T1s, particularly on MDI, often have greater food options than a T1 on fixed dose, mixed insulins, in that provided they can count the carbs, and grasp how their own bodies react to a lot of protein, they can usually match their medication to deal with the impact of sweet or carby foods. I do say usually, as there are some notoriously difficult scenario for T1s too.

For T2s, my observation would be as follows:

Most T2s arrive here because they are trying to find their way to managing their diet. Many are confused by conflicting information on the internet. I think I can be confident that most folks like that arriving here are almost immediately asked what their blood scores do throughout a typical day, and the vast majority respond that they have no idea as they have no meter. So, I would suggest the absolutely almost universal advice is to acquire a meter; either via their medics or to self-fund.

Thereafter, they are on a voyage of discovery. Let's face it, few new, testing T2s immediately achieve good blood scores whilst they are eating the big carbs - bread, potatoes, pasta, cereal, rice etc. Most are pretty quickly, if reluctantly trimming the carbs, and once the often seen seismic downward shifts in blood scores happen, they end up almost asking how low (carb) they can go.

To be honest, I hate labels, and I never talk about myself being on an LCHF diet. Unless they are well-clued in, they have no idea what that means. I express the way I eat as reduced carb, as that's my main focus, then I ensure I have my protein and top up the energy requirements by adding fats.

Personally, I cringe when I see newbies being told to do LCHF. How are they supposed to firstly know what the heck that accronym stands for? And just how emotive is the HF element, still? How many newbies rail against the fat; sometimes because they think they'll gain (more) weight, and some because they've already been told their lipids are high?

But, in summary, I think many people, through testing fall into LC eating, then as it starts to work, some can become quite evangelical about it. I honestly think most posters who enthuse a great deal are just trying to shorten the new person's learning curve, on their way to controlled and understood numbers.

Reactions: 11 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes a lot of sense and I suppose it is usually other members who are doing the same kind of diet that would be the most help as someone doing LCHF may not really know what type of advice to give someone on a different diet.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that perhaps there should be an area for both weight watchers and slimming world as these seem to be the most popular diets out there. Some people just cannot get along with low carb or very low calorie diets and need some sort of support on here other than low carb. I know from experience that low carb does work very well for blood sugar control but unfortunately its not for everyone. I found that it was very hard to sustain especially when you have families to cook for and the temptations are around you 24/7. Plus some people need to go on a structured diet like the main stream ones. It might also keep more people posting on the forums.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Do you think we give those people who are on a diet different to LCHF enough support on the forum ?.

Who is 'we'? Do you mean forum members? I can't speak for any apathy there might be on the part of those members who are doing well on non-LCHF diets, even if it is factor (and why would it be?). Maybe there's another reason. Maybe it's just a reflection of the statistics. But I don't recall any fundamental lack of support for anything that works.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I saw a post a few weeks ago from a member ( sorry, but I cannot think of the topic heading, possibly BS numbers/problems?) but I do remember a member saying ' I hope you are low carbing!!' :eek: I didn't comment on the thread, but I feel that sort of comment is unacceptable :mad:

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand why someone would try to argue for their chosen diet since no-one likes to think they might have made a mistake. What I can't understand is something that once happened when posters were seriously attacking other peoples choice of diet. This is especially difficult since, in most cases, the diets are similar but just with a different method of achieving the intended result.

Boss lady says not to be contentious. I won't be because I never understood why people were on this subject.

gorshin.jpg

I posted this last time.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi @Pinkorchid, do you have some evidence of this ( not necessarily the exact posts) just in case of a possible backlash of questions ? As it would be interesting reading.

Best wishes rRB

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thread is about supporting people on alternative diets not about the virtues of a LCHF diet that's for another thread.
What I have noticed is that some threads I have seen and answered about other diets have not received the same volume of replies that LCHF posts do. Example a man posted on Monday about his gluten free diet and how well he was doing on it he only got 2 replies one being mine so why did he get so few replies didn't he deserve some congratulations on his good progress
It has been said before on this forum that people are half afraid to mention they do other diets because when they have they have had some pretty negative comments and even nasty PM's that have really upset them and that is certainly not supportive

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jo123

I have to say when I first joined this forum as a prediabetic I managed to achieve normal bg levels by low carbing. I tested lots and found that it was carbs, some more than others which raised my bg too high.
I would rather eat a few carbs and on the forum I asked someone who deals with their type 2 diabetes very successfully through low gi, what they ate generally, I got a very snippy reply, to which I didn't bite, saying that low gi and low carb are completely different routes and I couldn't possibly follow low gi whilst low carbing!
I was a bit shocked as to me low gi foods would be a good way of introducing a few more carbs into my diet and I just wanted to find out more.
So to summarize the aggresive posting is not all one way! Non low carbers can be just as blunt!!

Also I guess that I personally may miss some of the posts about the success of other diets as I tend to read the low carb section of the forum as that is what works for me, and believe me if I could introduce some carbs without increasing my bg I would.

Reactions: 3 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pinkorchid, do you have some evidence of this ( not necessarily the exact posts) just in case of a possible backlash of questions ? As it would be interesting reading.

Best wishes rRB
I have given you an example in my last post

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say when I first joined this forum as a prediabetic I managed to achieve normal bg levels by low carbing. I tested lots and found that it was carbs, some more than others which raised my bg too high.
I would rather eat a few carbs and on the forum I asked someone who deals with their type 2 diabetes very successfully through low gi, what they ate generally, I got a very snippy reply, to which I didn't bite, saying that low gi and low carb are completely different routes and I couldn't possibly follow low gi whilst low carbing!
I was a bit shocked as to me low gi foods would be a good way of introducing a few more carbs into my diet and I just wanted to find out more.
So to summarize the aggresive posting is not all one way! Non low carbers can be just as blunt!!

That was not exactly helpful or supportive was it

Status
Not open for further replies.