Fractured my coccyx...

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all. I fell over on Saturday night (backwards) and really hurt myself. Went to a&e today and they didn't do an X-ray but suspect I've fractured it. I've never fractured anything before!
I'm on codeine and it's making me feel a little ill. Any advice?
Thank you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yeah did something similar down some steps at a party years ago.. I feel your pain..
Busted a rib on another occaision too?

From memory? They can't realy do much about it.. I know it was hell driving a car...

M

mist

they suspect you have fractured a bone but did not do an x-ray? o_O

Well ok then, just drink lots and try not to move around too much, although, if you had fractured it you sure as hell would know about it. Most likely bruised it, still painful nonetheless.

Feel better soon.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello all. I fell over on Saturday night (backwards) and really hurt myself. Went to a&e today and they didn't do an X-ray but suspect I've fractured it. I've never fractured anything before!
I'm on codeine and it's making me feel a little ill. Any advice?
Thank you
If the Codeine is making you ill talk to your doctor about changing the pain killer. I am allergic to it!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch. I did this slipping on ice.. very painful ! You'll need cushions carefully placed to sit comfortably for a while. Codeine makes me ill too . What painkillers do you usually take ?
It has to heal on it's own and gets gradually better over a few weeks

D

Deleted member 308541

I remember a few years back when the former mayor of Maroochydore, got bucked off a bucking bull in a hotel.

He landed on his coccyx and was in hospital for a short time, and was hobbling around for quite a while

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I remember a few years back when the former mayor of Maroochydore, got bucked off a bucking bull in a hotel.

He landed on his coccyx and was in hospital for a short time, and was hobbling around for quite a while

Ha! that's exactly what I'm doing, hobbling

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ouch. I did this slipping on ice.. very painful ! You'll need cushions carefully placed to sit comfortably for a while. Codeine makes me ill too . What painkillers do you usually take ?
It has to heal on it's own and gets gradually better over a few weeks

It feels so painful. I keep having to sit on one bumcheek lol I ate with my second codeine last night and I felt felt and it made me sleepy which was good, as I was in pain, maybe I just needed to eat more with it?
Usually paracetamol but it didn't help whatsoever

Reactions: michaela2015

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
they suspect you have fractured a bone but did not do an x-ray? o_O

Well ok then, just drink lots and try not to move around too much, although, if you had fractured it you sure as hell would know about it. Most likely bruised it, still painful nonetheless.

Feel better soon.

Yeah, because whether you've bruised it or fractured it, there's still nothing they can do, so you'll still get the same result. They suspect I fractured it due to me telling them it felt like I had tooth paste on my coccyx yesterday... and also felt a bit sick before I went. It's sooo painful! :(
Thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ow! The pain is horrible. Not had it myself, but watched a family member go through it.

The bruising will improve, but then you will be left with the bone pain til it mends.

Has anyone suggested you get a polo shaped cushion? Or a horseshoe shaped one? My relative carried theirs everywhere!

Reactions: Sid Bonkers

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Yeah did something similar down some steps at a party years ago.. I feel your pain..
Busted a rib on another occaision too?

From memory? They can't realy do much about it.. I know it was hell driving a car...

Did you fracture it too, or bruise? It's so painful. I'm going for a family meal tomorrow night too, and I'm gonna be sitting like a weirdo!
It hurts so much this morning lol!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ow! The pain is horrible. Not had it myself, but watched a family member go through it.

The bruising will improve, but then you will be left with the bone pain til it mends.

Has anyone suggested you get a polo shaped cushion? Or a horseshoe shaped one? My relative carried theirs everywhere!

Yes, the nurse at a&e but I have noooo idea where to get one! It's really painful this morning :( feeling sorry for myself haha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, the nurse at a&e but I have noooo idea where to get one! It's really painful this morning :( feeling sorry for myself haha

Hi, what about a neck pillow ( the type you use on long journeys to rest your neck) that is U shaped and may ease the bruising pain a little? Or, if you can, ask a pharmacist for some advice. Take care.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely get yourself a doughnut cushion. I've got two friends who fractured their coccyx and they carried their inflatable doughnuts in their handbag everywhere lol! They're available from Amazon for about £15, just search "doughnut cushion"

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've bruised mine in the past, so sypathise. Worse than the pain of the bruising was the internal exam. I nearly shot through the wall at that one!

Get the doughnut cushion - nearest a diabetic might go to a doughnut! Failing that, a kids rubber ring. I also use a wedge shaped cushion on my study chair, which has a 'u' shape cut out at the back to ease pressure on my coccyx, as, even years later, it remains an area that bruises easily, even with just lots of sitting on it.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done it twice. The first time I didn't have any medical help, and it took months to heal. The second time I had to see my GP about something else, and mentioned it. He prescribed some anti-inflammatories (the sort you can get over the counter like ibrufen). His reasoning was that if the inflammation can be reduced at the beginning, then healing will be faster. I did get over it much faster that time. Codeine isn't an anti-inflammatory, so will be reducing the pain, but not the inflammation.

Both times I used a wedge shaped cushion with a hole in the thick end of the wedge. That made a massive amount of difference. Try googling wedge cushion coccyx.