Freestyle libre and doctor

Julia_kortz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have an appointment with my gp tomorrow to ask if I can get the libre on prescription. I have self funded several times and found it to be life changing. I am a T1 on a pump with very active weekends and fairly sedentary weekdays which means my days aren't routine. My DSN recommended I speak to my gp directly about prescription. Does anyone have any advice on how to persuade him to say yes!!

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I would go in armed with all your records from a 2 week spell of using the libre
and 2 weeks when not using a libre.

( hopefully the stats will show the difference between the control achieved )

I would also show him how many test strips you use when not on libre and when using libre- and again , if using substantially less it could point out that the cost needn't go through the roof having libre.

edited to add -- do keep posting on any progress -- and finally -- a really warm welcome to the forum , glad you found us !! :):)

Reactions: anniehi41

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a written argument. I outlined mother medical conditions that complicated managing diabetes. Won't describe it again here but if you are interested in the unique combination it's in another post.

I had also been self funding Libre and was able to provide data from my meter and the new Libre regime demonstrating an improvement in hypos and hypers. Not perfection by any stretch, but an improvement.

My consultant was happy to 'top and tail' that and present it. The CCG were very quick to agree to funding. I think it's subject to regular review, so if I don't continue to improve or worse slip back I expect questions will be asked.

HTH

Reactions: novorapidboi26
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose cost is an argument. How many strips do you use in two weeks and do they cost more than a £50 sensor?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they are £35 to the nhs my strips cost £27 every 4 weeks. so about £208 more gor the new gadget a year however you still needs strips so costs then go up even more.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use up £50 worth of strips every two weeks but I would still need a pot to accompany a Libre so will work out more.....

So, cost wont be my argument.....;)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I use 100+ every fortnight, these are for the accu-chek Insight pump, they retail for £25 in the parmacy but when I was at the GP's last week he told me they cost £16 per pot so £32-40 every 2 weeks, he still said no to putting it on prescription. Will see what my DSN says next Wednesday

Julia_kortz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would go in armed with all your records from a 2 week spell of using the libre
and 2 weeks when not using a libre.

( hopefully the stats will show the difference between the control achieved )

I would also show him how many test strips you use when not on libre and when using libre- and again , if using substantially less it could point out that the cost needn't go through the roof having libre.

edited to add -- do keep posting on any progress -- and finally -- a really warm welcome to the forum , glad you found us !! :):)

Julia_kortz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice. I took my data with and without libre and a list of advantages for me of the libre. Gp was very supportive and probably would have prescribed there and then but the libre wasn't on his list of drugs to prescribe. So the gp is going to email the CCG and find out what the situation is. Gp felt that ccgs will have to allow if others and doing it and pressure will come on them to do so. So all positive and glad I went.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Well I have been to see my DSN and our CCG have yet still to make their minds up about the Libre, but while I was there she suggested to me about trying to get Fiasp precribed for me and she is going to ask my consultant about putting me forward for a dexcom as I'm suffering from alot of nocturnal lows. I had already reduced my basal from 10pm till 2am down from 0.15 units per hour down to 0.04 per hour but still having the lows, all I can think is happening is my work load has increased ten fold over the past 6-8 month and as soon as my body hits the bed it's just letting go of all the stress etc