Freestyle Libre for T2?

Newyorker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

My nurse recommended that I try out the libre but wanted to ask you all a few questions before I take the plunge!

1. Does it hurt when you put it on?
2. I am in the sun and ocean quite a bit, will it stay on?
3. It is very noticeable under clothes?
4. Have you every pulled it off by mistake? If yes, can you stick it back on?
5. I only want to use it for a few months to see how my LCHF is going, can you subscribe to it for only 3 months?

Thanks everyone! :)

D

Deleted Account

1. There is a very slight pin prick as you put it on.
2. As far as I know, Sun makes no diffence to the stickiness. Some people find water such as when swimming can affect it but there are other threads about options such as verap and skintac to keep it in place.
3. "Very noticeable"? No. But if you wear something with tight sleeves you may see a slight bump from certain directions. So it depends how sensitive you are.
4. "Pulled it off"? No. But it may get caught or knocked if you are unlucky. If you think you may be accident prone, you could use something light skintac to hold it up in place. As for sticking back in place when it falls off, this is not possible. You will need to use another sensor.
5. Each sensor works for 14 days. You can buy as many as you want. I think they have a use by date so you need the be careful if you buy them all at least once. Your u could just buy one if you want. Or even see if you could get a free trial.

Reactions: Newyorker

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just spent a fortnight in the sun and the sea and it stayed attached throughout after initially applying skintac before applying sensor. I'm accident prone but have found skintac stops me knocking it off on doorways etc!

Frances

Reactions: Newyorker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had three so far and one hurt a tiny bit when it went in (no more than a finger prick though) but the other two completely painless. Unfortunately I can't get the **** thing to stay on for more than a week - and I never go in either the sun or the water #vampire ! But when it's on it's fantastic !!! skintac didn't work, but I'm just about to trial body glue !!!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1) The first time I put one on the springloaded click made me jump but now I am used to pressing it down for 10 secs to make sure the adhesive sticks. Feels a bit like someone has knocked your arm for a few hours but nothing more than that!
2) The advice they give you is no more that 30 mins in the water and then come out and dry. I have seen an issue with my latest one since I was home and back at the gym and pool so I put a film of Tegaderm over it - keeps it in place and just replace when I need to. Also might be worth looking at getting some sample skin tac wipes which help it adhere
3) Under clothes, no. I have had it peek out from under a polo shirt from time to time. and of course you see it plain as day in the swimming pool but honestly, I don't care.
4) Thankfully I have not yet fallen prey to the demon door frames, but I do still get freaked out by people jostling me on the underground! Some have been known to reinsert the sensor filament back into the hole if they have been quick enough, but for most it means a new sensor.
5) Find out if you can try it for free otherwise you will have to shell out for the scanner anyway. The sensors are about £100 to cover you for a month (barring accidents) and there are FB groups with free delivery codes, and of course, you will get it VAT exempt. I know that I am unlikely (for now) to have this funded on the NHS so for me I view it as an investment to help me manage my diabetes so it might be a bit steep if you only want it for three months or so.