Freestyle Libre Hot Weather WARNING

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all! Just replace do sensor and wasted one as it came straight off- the second one only stuck as I pushed it down. Think it might be to do with humidity, thought I'd let you know to be careful replacing them so you don't waste precious sensors! Will ofc be sending it back to Abbott.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Make sure you clean your arm carefully and remove any moisture/sweat. That may help. Mine is stuck like glue.
I thought I had done but clearly not! Will be more vigilant next time. I think the glue is fine now but was not on top form straight out of the packet!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @isjoberg

Thanks for the warning. I always cover mine with a Tegaderm dressing for security, based on other Forum members' advice. It also gives some protection against (minor) bumps.

Reactions: isjoberg

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all! Just replace do sensor and wasted one as it came straight off- the second one only stuck as I pushed it down. Think it might be to do with humidity, thought I'd let you know to be careful replacing them so you don't waste precious sensors! Will ofc be sending it back to Abbott.
I always leave a good 10 minutes before application after using the alcohol swab. That can really be a game changer.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always leave a good 10 minutes before application after using the alcohol swab. That can really be a game changer.
Will try that next time! Having spent almost a year with one I've never had issues like this but really useful to get everyone's advice :)

Reactions: GrantGam

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year I used a fair number of sensors, they all stuck like limpets, and I had only a single failure.

After I started using them again this year - and my first couple were bought last summer and well out of date but limpet like and absolutely trouble free - since March out of 7 bought or replaced so far: three have fallen off, one I knocked off, one failed with "ended" early, last one yesterday came loose and failed (I did wonder about the weather as this happened immediately after I'd walked down to the surgery and back) - all within a week. Only one of the seven has actually gone the full fortnight without any real issues.

I'm getting more than a bit fed up :banghead::mad: with this high failure rate and am concerned that Abbot will think it's some sort of scam and stop replacing them for me - I'm dreading phoning then again today - I know I'm being a bit paranoid!! :wideyed:

Robbity
(Now rather disillusioned with what's been an excellent tool!)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only ever had one sensor replaced - for peeling off - and the guy on the phone said that if the glue is subjected to excess heat, before application, it can make it less sticky.

Afterwards, I checked on the temperature the sensors are supposed to function at, and the Libre website and on the DCUK Libre page, which gives this info
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/abbott-freestyle-libre.html

Operating and storage ranges
  • Operating temperature: 10° to 45°C
  • Storage temperature: 4° to 30°C
  • Relative humidity: 10-90% (non-condensing)
  • Altitude: -381 m (-1,250 ft) to 3048 m (10,000 ft)
  • Water resistance: IP27: Can withstand immersion into 1m (3 ft) of water for up to 30 mins
I'm confident that nothing I did subjected that sensor to temperatures in excess of 30°C but I can imagine it might have happened in transit, or if the package was left in the sun. Although perspiration would add another possible issue.

Anyway, it was replaced, and I haven't had a problem since.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just at the end of my 8th sensor. All 8 have stuck firm throughout the 2 weeks, and I struggle to remove them. I have had one replaced for very erratic readings. My current one has also been erratic - varying from 0.4 higher than my Accu Chek to 1.4 lower, but I am not complaining to Abbott this time.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last year I used a fair number of sensors, they all stuck like limpets, and I had only a single failure.

After I started using them again this year - and my first couple were bought last summer and well out of date but limpet like and absolutely trouble free - since March out of 7 bought or replaced so far: three have fallen off, one I knocked off, one failed with "ended" early, last one yesterday came loose and failed (I did wonder about the weather as this happened immediately after I'd walked down to the surgery and back) - all within a week. Only one of the seven has actually gone the full fortnight without any real issues.

I'm getting more than a bit fed up :banghead::mad: with this high failure rate and am concerned that Abbot will think it's some sort of scam and stop replacing them for me - I'm dreading phoning then again today - I know I'm being a bit paranoid!! :wideyed:

Robbity
(Now rather disillusioned with what's been an excellent tool!)
You can also do the forms online, I emailed them at 10pm last night, got a response at 9am and less than an hour after I had sent back the questions I got a confirmation that a replacement is on its way!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my recent failures was after a hottish bath and when I reported it I had a polite little lecture about temperature - unfortunately they were talking centigrade and I was talking fahrenhiet, and I only realised this when the nice (French??) lady said I mustn't wear my sensor in the sauna!! OOPS...

I've just phoned Abbott and my paranoia was unfounded and I'm getting yet another replacement sent... So fingers crossed and glue gun at the ready.

Robbity

PS @isjoberg - thanks for the heads up re emailing!

CathytheChef

I usually cover my sensor with a mepore dressing (just a thin transparent thing my GP gives me on prescription) - I don't bother so much in winter because I wear long sleaves but in summer it helps stop them getting bashed off :) I haven't had that problem with sweat but us girls don't sweat, we glow ;-)

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask about eratic numbers. My sensor reads about 2mmol below my SD Code free. In saying that - I can easily get the wrong reading on my SD as I have found by doing three in a row. I now know this to be a problem with all test meters.

Do you find that being de-hydrated impacts the accuracy of the reading from the sensor? I was browsing a different forum and they all thought it had a huge impact. I ask because I know I was dehydrated last night and my readings went down to 2.7 but there was no way they were that low as I was feeling absolutely find. Your experiences would be useful.

Dean.

GIB984

My sensor alarm just went off and it was saying LO although I felt fine. Just done a good old blood test and it’s 6.7‍♂️

Lakeslover

Last summer I was working in the garden on a hot day and think the sensor was in full sun for an hour. It failed suddenly without actually falling off. Abbot replaced it without any problems. I’ve been a lot more careful this year.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I use skin-prep by smith&nephew buy off amazon for hot & sticky weather. Once wiped it leaves the skin tacky. Also use it for omnipod dash.