Freestyle Libre - how do you keep the sensor on?

Al_H

Hi,

I recently took the plunge and purchased a Freestyle Libre following some issues with worsening control when doing a lot of exercise - I received my introduction pack with the reader and 2 sensors, it took a while to get this far as a result of the cost but in the end I decided it was worth it to improve my control. Quickly got it all out and applied the first sensor, after an hour I was up and running - the output and information I'm getting is brilliant, yes the readings have a time delay but I have not found this to be an issue.
However, the first 2 sensors lasted 4 days and 7 days respectively before falling off (literally), the problem is due to participating in some sport - after applying the first sensor I went to the gym 2 nights in a row and then went cycling for 4 hours on the Saturday - I guess this meant the sensor had to deal with swear for 6 hours+, unfortunately the end result was that it fell off. Similar happened to the second sensor . . .
My current approach is to use a "SKIN TAC WIPE" before applying the sensor, this certainly appears to help and so far if I'm only doing an hours exercise a couple of times a week it lasts 7-10 days, unfortunately the only way I can make it last the full 2 weeks appears to be to use a film (currently using "Tegaderm Film 6 x 7cm") - this does help and has allowed me to extend the use to 2 weeks but only just .
I'm interested to learn if anyone else has tried anything else successfully? I've called Abbott to ask and they provided some additional information on Skin TAC (should probably be included in initial documentation) but said if this didn't work it's probably not for you! I can't afford to have them last less than 2 weeks so any suggestions are greatly appreciated - remember it needs to essentially be able to cope with 6-10 hours of sweaty conditions every week . . .

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the adhesive very, very good. You may find something like the following will help it stay in place:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opsite-Flexifix-Transparent-Film-10cmx1m/dp/B01CZ5AIQ8

It's helpful to wait a good while after cleaning the application site with the alcohol swab. This ensures that the area is totally dry and doesn't compromise the effectiveness of the Libre adhesive.

It's beneficial to place a circular piece of paper on top of the Libre sensor before applying any additional film or tape. This allows for easy removal of the adhesive when/if you need to replace it.

Reactions: col101

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine have all stuck like limpets and I've had more trouble getting them off again.

Are you making sure your arm is quite dry after using the little alcohol wipe?

Robbity

Reactions: drahawkins_1973

Al_H

Thanks for your feedback, I will certainly wait a little longer between the wipe and application - I also appreciate the tip about a bit of paper between the film and sensor, I did spend some time/effort on one sensor carefully holding the sensor in place whilst pealing the film off - Never again! Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also exfoliate, then clean and dry thoroughly before using the alcohol wipe.

Don't know if all that phaff is actually necessary! But all mine stick like limpets too. The only time one peeled off by itself was when I lounged in a hot tub for too long, while resting my arm on the rim.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine all stick like limpets, too. I don't clean my arm first, I just use the alcohol wipe. My problem is getting them off at the end of the 2 weeks!

Reactions: col101

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wear a libre and I fence in mine under two layers of thick fencing clothing and I play water polo for two hour sessions, the answer to your problem is something called Rock Tape, and you want the H2o stuff and trust me that stuff very rarely comes off. Also if you don't use the little alcohol wipe then it won't stick as effectively! I have the same problem as everyone else trying to get them off is a nightmare !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My sensor finished last evening. I tried to take it off and succeeded in removing the sensor but leaving the adhesive completely intact on my arm! It took a while to prise it off. :arghh:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sensor finished last evening. I tried to take it off and succeeded in removing the sensor but leaving the adhesive completely intact on my arm! It took a while to prise it off. :arghh:

I have that battle to face this evening. lol

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine stick well but taking advice from another forum user I cover them with cohesive bandage I buy in local pharmacy it increases confidence when exercising etc