1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Emmotha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

Sorry if this has been asked before... can the libre be used with an andoid watch? (Sony2-3 or similar)?

Thanks for all the info!! So much on here keep it up everyone!

2. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sony Smartwatch 3 can be used with Glimp and Libre Alarm apps after some hacks are applied. I think for the time being this is the only watch which can be made to work.

3. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

i like the idea of having it hands free... im a nightmare for loosing things... thought if the watch was attached to me id have a better chance lol

4. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

Is there a link or an idiots guide to setting it up on a sony watch?

5. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Here's the link:
    https://github.com/pimpimmi/LibreAlarm/wiki

It involves hacking a sony smartwatch to switch on nfc so it can read the sensor, and then the watch sends results to a phone. The watch becomes a transmitter like dexcom. So it needs to be worn over the sensor, not on your wrist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

Ahhh right thanks so i cant just use the watch to take readings instead of on the phone? Was hoping with an android watch with nfc i could use the app? Or am I making it too simple lol??

7. eventhorizon

Yes you can use the watch as a stand alone device on the wrist. Hold the watch very near Libre sensor for a second and you'll get the current BG reading and the previous 8 hours on a graph.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

And can this be done with the standard libre or glimp app? Just ordered my starter pack! Cant wait to get stuck in

9. eventhorizon

Standard Glimp app but you do need to hack the watch. I don't think the Libre app will work on the watch.

10. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

Surprised they are not a bit more tech savy... arn't apps made by kids nowdays lol... would have thought a smart watch app would have been an easy addition for a tech based product???

Thanks again for the info!!

Anyone actually used an android watch like this? I feel im gonna need an idiot guide

11. Scott-C

Sorry, I think we were taking at cross purposes there! The link to the LibreAlarm I gave earlier was for a way of getting the libre to alarm when sugars go out of range, which is the one big thing mising from libre compared to dexcom, whereas I see now that what you're thinking of is not really an alert as such but just being able to scan with the watch instead of the reader or phone.Will have to pass on that one as I'm not a techy.

My recollection from reading about LibreAlarm was that the developer figured out that Sony had put an nfc aerial in the Smartwatch and then for whatever commercial reasons didn't decide to go ahead with it, hence the hacking required to actually switch it on.

I see now from a quick google that there's quite a few more android watches with nfc available than was the case when the LibreAlarm developer came up with the Smartwatch hack. Whethere there's any apps which work on those, I don't know.

12. Steveyeu

Steveyeu Type 1 · Member

Ahh right... still trying to get my head around all the abbreviations and the lingo lol!! Found an excellent facebook group called libre geeks... so much info on using the sony watch... hopefully im going to find the answers i need :)

Appreciate the help!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. sharron 64

sharron 64 LADA · Active Member

Charge via the scanner, the sensor is stuck onto the arm, which is the size of a 2 pound coin, and sticks out, so watch when putting and taken of clothes, aslo when drying after bath or shower, as i have caught mine a few times

14. sharron 64

sharron 64 LADA · Active Member

Also advised not to cover the small hole in the centre of the censor

15. danchrist

danchrist · Newbie

hi all, I got my libre today and have read a few bits about the best way to use them. Should I use the machine to activate the sensor right away after application, or did I read that its best to leave it for a few days before activating it (to allow it to settle). I'm not sure how the 14 day period starts, or is enforced. Does it start when you apply the sensor, or is it when you activate it? Does it not make any difference either way? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dan

16. Scott-C

Hi, Dan, the 14 days starts running from the point you activate it. So, you could apply it now, leave it there for 6, 12, 24, 48 etc. hours and it'll still run for 14 days once you start it.

Seeing as it's your first one, I know you'll be mad keen to get it up and running asap, I was too, but most of us find that if you apply it and leave it for 12/24 hrs or whatever, it allows it a bit of time to settle in.

You can get bat-sh*t crazy results on the first day or two if you start it as soon as you attach it, because inserting it causes a bit of local disturbance (not surprising seeing as you're poking a needle into your skin) which messes with readings, but it generally settles down after that.

To be honest, you can still get bat-sh*t crazy results with it even after delaying start up. It takes a while to get used to it. It's got quirks. First couple of weeks I used it, I tested way more than I normally did to get a sense of what those quirks where. Once you learn how to read it properly, it's like, yeah, I can see what this is telling me even though it ain't the same as my meter.

Have fun with it!

17. danchrist

danchrist · Newbie

Thanks! Will wait till tomorrow then, looking forward to giving it a go.

18. barrym

barrym LADA · Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm pretty new to libre, but have read loads. Yesterday I put on a new sensor and after the mandatory one hour I tested with my Accuchek Mobile, the reader, and my phone and they all said 5.1.

I reckon any discrepancies may be down to the way individuals immediately accept minor trauma locally.

I'd advise trying the 1 hour first for a few sensors.

Having said that they are awesome. I often test in excess of 15 times a day. It's guilt free compared to strips.

Good luck.

19. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great news as I have just found out that the Libre system will be on the NHS list from November,so here goes

20. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook