Freestyle libre

Orrcubby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi,I am new to the forum so bear with me!!!!
My son Fergus was diagnosed 23/11/2015.
He is struggling with the finger prick, and I was wondering if this would be of any use, or if anyone knows of a finger pricker that is more efficient, we use the one the clinic gave us.

Many thanks
Jane

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

The Freestyle Libre is a pretty cool piece of kit. As you've probably already seen it eliminates the need for finger prick testing and can produce an "estimated" result on simply waving a smartphone/freestyle Libre meter past the sensor. A lot of people on the forum and throughout the world will back the Freestyle Libre all the way. I however, along with many others found the accuracy to be really far out at times.

The sensors last for 2 weeks and this result in a cost around £100 or so a month.

The Freestyle Libre will certainly give your son a moderately good indication of what his blood sugars are doing after meals and during periods of fasting. It will help him find out what foods give him post food spikes, etc.

How old is your son? As the Freestyle Libre is not accepted by the DVLA as a measuring device for proving yourself safe to operate a vehicle. It's a very clever piece of kit but should always be used in conjunction with an approved blood glucose meter.

I've used a Glucomen LX finger pricking device before and found it pretty good. Although mine is older than the version they are now selling:

http://www.glucomen.co.uk/finger-prickers/

What exactly is your son having difficulty with? Remember it's best to avoid pricking the top of the finger but instead the areas down the sides. This is a lot less painful.

Thanks!
Grant

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
He is struggling with the finger prick, and I was wondering if this would be of any use, or if anyone knows of a finger pricker that is more efficient, we use the one the clinic gave us.

Many thanks
Jane

Hi @Orrcubby ,

I guess it might depend exactly what aspect of using the finger pricker is being problematic????

I see above that @GrantGam1337 is happy with Glucomen finger pricker. On reading recommendations from forum members I purchased the Accu-Chek Softclix and would not go back. Horses for courses.

MaisyMoo10

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Many thanks
Jane
It has made a massive difference to my newly diagnosed 6year old good indicator to which way bloods are going especially in school and at nightime. I still prick if bloods are to low or to high but do this all on the system which is also helpful when u go to clinic.

justadad

Hi, rather than creating a new thread...
I am expecting my son's first libre starter kit next week.
I've watched a number of video tutorials about the actual application of the sensor. I see that everyone opts for the back of the arm. Now, my son is fairly skinny and I am afraid we might hit the bone.
Any suggestions for alternative sites, anyone?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, rather than creating a new thread...
I am expecting my son's first libre starter kit next week.
I've watched a number of video tutorials about the actual application of the sensor. I see that everyone opts for the back of the arm. Now, my son is fairly skinny and I am afraid we might hit the bone.
Any suggestions for alternative sites, anyone?

I doubt it will hit the bone. The filament that goes in is small and sits just under the skin, but if you are concerned you could try underneath the arm. I attach mine by holding my arm out straight in front of me, palm down. It is then attached between arm pit and elbow in the flabby bit that hangs down (well, OK, it is flabby on me!) I find this position more comfortable and I'm less likely to knock it off on door frames etc.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The filament is very small (5.0mm x 0.4mm) nothing like an inch long.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanx, @Bluetit1802! Is the filament flexible? The videos I've seen show an inch long filament. It is the length that made me concerned, plus a video I saw with a kid that age and size, who felt some pain while applying the sensor.

It is nowhere near an inch long, and not painful to attach. I jump when my husband attaches mine, but not through pain, through the sudden loud click inside the mechanism.

justadad

Hi, I just inserted my son's second libre sensor. He felt a bit of pain, which I ignored, thinking that he was exaggerating, as he normally does. By the time I removed his old sensor I saw a smudge of blood that had come through the hole in the centre of the sensor. Should I do anything about this?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I just inserted my son's second libre sensor. He felt a bit of pain, which I ignored, thinking that he was exaggerating, as he normally does. By the time I removed his old sensor I saw a smudge of blood that had come through the hole in the centre of the sensor. Should I do anything about this?

It's up to you. Abbott suggest you call them and remove the sensor if it bleeds. I've always left them in as the bleeders have tended to be more accurate for me.

Ta @azure

Reactions: justadad

justadad

It's up to you. Abbott suggest you call them and remove the sensor if it bleeds. I've always left them in as the bleeders have tended to be more accurate for me.

Ta @azure
Thanks @tim2000s. That was super fast. I checked a minute ago, pain is gone and no fresh blood visible from the sensor hole. My only concern is if there is any health risk with this. Now, the first readings are inaccurate, I know that. But it showed 3, whereas the bg meter showed 5.9. Might this be becase of that blood drop? If there is no health risk I am happy to keep it on an see what progress there would be. Every word of your response is much appreciated.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had no infections on bleeders. They do tend to take a little longer to settle though, in my experience.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had a smudge of old blood at a removed sensor with no worries .

the pain at insertion is so brief ( if at all )
again I wouldn't be worried.

you can always speak with the customer service peeps tomorrow if you or your son are feeling unsettled !!.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Justadad - That sometimes happens if you just nic a superficial capillary when applying the new sensor. I've had the odd "stinger", and, for me anyway, it settles after a short while.

In your shoes, I'd just keep an eye on it. I do know, curiously enough, that some folks have observed that whilst the little bit of blood showing through the centre of the sensor looks a bit alarming initially, it dodn't impact the efficacy or accuracy of the sensor in any way. Indeed, I seem to recall someone mentioning it was one of their most accurate sensors. I wouldn't even attempt to find the link to that particular post Justadad, as it could be anywhere on the forum (and I can't recall who it was).

I'll be slapping on a sensor later this evening myself. I just love the Libre as a once-in-a-while, "am I staying on-track" tool for myself. I have learned so much about my body having used it for a while.

Hopefully, some of the others will also comment.