Frequent urinating before waking up in the morning

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I understand that increase in frequency of urination is common to diabetic patients. But, what is normal? I get up in between 3-00 to 7-00 up to 3 times . Is this normal? I drink water each time I wake up . May be I should stop drinking water to avoid additional urinating . Any advice?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends from person to person, when i was not diagnose I used to get up 3 to 4 times in the night and used to finish about a litre of water in the night. Now I dont get up even once and sometimes dont touch the water bottle either.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Kaha,

Needing to urinate before the night is over is not common among diabetic patients who have well stabilised lower blood glucose levels. It's very common amongst undiagnosed diabetics.

The only times I've experienced the need to get up in the night has been caused by very high levels either when ill or when I've not had good control. Do you test your blood glucose before bed and when you get up to go to the loo? It might be worth doing this and providing some feedback.

Reactions: 6 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, I also think it depends on how well under control your diabetes is.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
3 times in the space of four hours seems excessive, in your position I would be getting a check-up at your gp's, just be sure to take along a pee sample as they'll no doubt ask you for one when you get there.

Reactions: 5 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you wake up test your blood and see if it is high. This is a common symptom of high blood glaucose .

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think everyone is different.

I have always had to get up in the night, between one and three times. It has nothing to do with my diabetes. I have never had very high blood sugars, and am now well under control, but still have to get up. I do tend to drink a lot in the evenings, which may explain things. Our kidneys flush the urine into the bladder constantly, not in spurts. It is a constant flow. When our bladders are full we need to empty them. As water goes more or less straight to the kidneys, the more we drink, the more we will urinate.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks all for sharing views. To some extent I am in agreement with what Bluetit 1802 says . I also take lot of fluid at night ( tea, water) before going to bed . Some members have mentioned about high sugar levels , my readings usually range in between 7.0 and 8.0 (fasting) . Does it mean anything?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
@Kaha - I am a well-controlled Type 2 - and I will get up several times per night - halfway sleeping - and the frequency will be higher when getting near the morning.

I have never ascribed this to diabetes but rather to 'old age' creeping slowly but surely up on me ;)

annelise

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks all for sharing views. To some extent I am in agreement with what Bluetit 1802 says . I also take lot of fluid at night ( tea, water) before going to bed . Some members have mentioned about high sugar levels , my readings usually range in between 7.0 and 8.0 (fasting) . Does it mean anything?

Well it's fair to say that if your drinking loads before bed then your going to wake up during the night to go to the loo.

If you want, you could try drinking decaff tea & coffee, I switched a few years back after having similar problems and noticed a big difference in the amount of times I needed a pee, caffeine acts as a diuretic, meaning it makes you pass urine more frequently.

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was getting up 7/8 times in the night before being diagnosed now back to normal which is 3/4 times I do drink water through the night,perhaps I ought to stop that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The point at which the kidneys start to flush sugar out of the blood (and we start to pee lots and drink lots) is when the blood glucose hits 10-11 mmol/l. so if your bg is rising above that with your evening meal, then that may be the cause.

are you testing 2 hours after food to find out what your highest peaks are?

but if your bg is staying below 10 all the time, then it is probably your tea and drinks in the evening, just making their way out of the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 83869

Sounds like you're running high in the night! Do a 2am or 3am test to see what is going on! :)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Sometimes it can also be to do with supplements or herbs you are taking. Normally I do not need to wee in the night, but if I drink green herbal tea at bedtime, it makes me need to wee. This is because it is an antioxidant and can make you excrete toxins from the body. I only have green tea in the morning now! I also need to wee a lot if I am very anxious about things. I have had to carefully monitor what I eat and drink so I can get a good nights sleep without having to get up.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a cold for the last couple of weeks which shows no sign of going and find I'm now getting up three or four times per night as opposed to the usual one or two times. My morning BG levels are also running a little higher than normal which is to be expected with a cold.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Thanks all for your posts those helped me a lot in understanding the issue

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
If I have to get up twice during the night my blood sugar reading in the morning is over 6.0.
I know for sure that if I don't get up twice it will be under 6.0 in the morning.

For me, high blood sugars mean more frequent urination.

S

Sable_Jan

Interesting to see how high bs can affect the need to pee. I go a lot due to my fibromyalgia and pills for high blood pressure one being a direct diuretic and the other partially working the same way. I now see that there is a third factor to enter the equation....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I guess most type 1s think that high bs and frequent urination are a standard set of links as it was one of the key indicators when we were diagnosed.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to everybody, the piddling problem is one I also have, but I also have a bladder problem.

This problem is being monitored by a urology doctor and I am on Tropsium, so when I piddle myself round the bend I am not sure if it is due to the diabetes out of balance, or my bladder having it's own problem and needing my hospital doctor consultation time. Due to this I have big thick pads from the continence service, even when I go to bed. I have cut down the amount of fluids that I drink at night, even just to sip fluid, my fluid of choice is Robinson's fruit and barley squash, in either summer fruits or orange and pineapple, no added sugar variety, which is always ready to drink either day or night.

I understand the disturbance to your sleep at getting up, then being very thirsty, so have a good drink, then up again, and so it goes on during the time your body wants to sleep, try having a smaller drinking glass with you and only drink slowly from it, giving each mouthful time to go down, then think about how 'thirst quenched' you feel. I have done this and now do not drink as much during the night.

If you feel that your piddling is getting you down, test your piddle with a ketostix test strip to see if you have ketones in your piddle due to your bs, being high.
I hope you all get control, ttfn