Fruit Smoothies

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed at T2 diabetic I went out and bought a Vitamix S30 blender with the intention of using it to make soups. It turns out my wife loves fruit smoothies and so we have been using it for that as well.

I did a blood sugar test before and after having dinner last Friday and my readings were 6.0 before and 9.2 two hours after, which I thought was bit high. I had a fruit smoothie as part of the meal which included strawberries, apple, pear, banana soya milk and some full fat greek yogurt.

A few months ago I looked for some LCHF recipe ideas and saw one for Blueberry Smoothie on the Diet Doctor website. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/blueberry-smoothie

I was wondering what ingredients you could add to a smoothie without causing a blood sugar surge. I had thought that blueberries and strawberries were OK, but maybe bananas should be avoided.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Blueberries and strawberries are the fruit least likely to spike, but in moderation. I'm not diabetic so only speaking from a weight loss pov, but bananas are starchy so best avoided.

I love a smoothie, but go for lots of spinach, avocado, perhaps a little flaxseed. Very little, if any, fruit. Kale, cucumber perhaps?

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are breaking down the contents of your smoothie so as to make it easy to digest, anything you use is going to impact your BG quite quickly. I used some small lettuces as the base for a couple of drinks in my Nutribullet and the effect was fast, but not as high as using all fruit would have been.
The apple pear and banana would have been rather high carb taken as fruits, so not the best thing to drink.
Maybe look in the marked down section for salad stuff, use melon as part of the drink and use a minimum of solid stuff or dilute it down so as to reduce the carbs per drink.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit is for the most part best avoided when trying to keep your blood sugars low.. I sometimes have a few raspberries (maybe 6 or 7) in some double cream as a treat which seems ok but too many more and I spike. Maybe some double cream instead of the yoghurt could work well too.