Fruit

Hercule_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hills
I am newly diagnosed t2 and would normally eat fruit and yogurt for breakfast. I now red that there are certain fruits I shouldn't eat can you advise

Reactions: SWUSA_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed t2 and would normally eat fruit and yogurt for breakfast. I now red that there are certain fruits I shouldn't eat can you advise

Actually it is most fruits , as fruit sugar do spike ones blood glucose quite too much, and that is the problem that diabetics are not able to lower ones blood glucose fast enough...

The other bad aspect of fruit sugar is that it seem to be even more damaging to the liver/ creating fatty liver even more than plain white sugar, which is also bad conserning that..

berries does not spike ones blood glusose as rapidly, and is therefore by many considered a better choise than fruits..
they do not spike as fast because of all the fibres in the berries and also because of Little lower amount of fruit sugar..

so blueberry ans rasberry and strawberry would be a better choise, but still the amount of carbs in those needs to be taken into the whole picture of ones daily amount and the amount in the specific meal...
an advice I got from the diabetic nurse in my hospital was, never eat more than 5 grams of sugar/fruit sugar in one meal...

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Go for strawberries and raspberries. Blueberries are a little higher in sugar and I get a slight spike from them, but you may be OK. If you have a blood glucose meter, have some fun testing. Also use full-fat yogurt - the fat in it will soften out any high spike. If you can eat nuts, throw a few of those in too.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat a few strawberries with a full fat Greek yogurt for breakfast, but found my BS levels went up and stayed up all morning. I realised my body can't take any carbs at all in the mornings (other than a dash of milk in my tea), so I just stick to eggs for breakfast. My levels now stay fairly flat. I save my berries and yogurts for later in the day.

Reactions: kokhongw

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ive always eaten fruit and not had problems with it even after diagnosis when I was reducing the carbs in my diet to around 60g a day I still ate a small orange and or a small green apple so dont take it as read that 'you' cant eat fruit, test and find out what you can eat and what you can eat in what portions.

Test, test and test again and find out what 'you' can and cant eat dont take other peoples finding to be your own unless you have tested them.

Reactions: kokhongw