Fruit

MT1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I have just recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am due to see the DN in Jan. I’ve been prescribed Metformin so I’m assuming I’m type 2??????

Please can anyone help me, I eat a lot of fruit is this bad with diabetes? Apart from foods high in carbs, is there anything I should be avoiding?

Thanks

Sam

Hi
I did not eat much fruit until I was actually diagnosed with Type 2. As part of my LCHF diet and exercise (walking) I have rightly or wrongly introduced fruits into my diet on a daily basis. They consist of Blueberries, Raspberries, Black and Red Currants, Blackberries, Gooseberries and some Black Cherries. I have a constant supply of all of these in my freezer and have them with a little cream and some artificial sweetener (alternative to sugar) every day. After a six month concerted effort I am no longer in the diabetic range and have changed my diet and lifestyle and avoided the GP threat of Metformin.
Lost 11kg weight in 6 months. Hope this helps.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think rose-apples is good
1515f81687a6e5066ca11b3f2a2f8f88.jpg

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hello there,

I always feel frustrated and sad to see people like yourself with the smile...as your A1C is looking good and reduced, and this is wonderful to have the level your at, only for one thing, its not real its false reading, as if your taking Metformin, this is allowing you to eat more or less in moderation although cutting down carbs etc., and little fruit with yogurt as you say, for the fact, the Metformin lowers the levels, but does not get the sugar out of your system in my opinion, so when you go for an A1C yes, it shows better, but its not really.

its like having high blood pressure, they say take blood pressure pill, and then say, this little white pill will allow you to eat salt, where is the good medical sense in that, why not simply say, cut out salt or lessen, if you cook with hit, don't eat at table or if you don't cook with salt put a little on your meal.....

Its great to see yourself and may more who are happy chappies because your levels are low on A1C, but think about the fact this is because its due to medications, and not the fact you have lessened by yourself, your own body has naturally reduced.

My self an example, I put my metformin down the toilet, basically, that does not mean you have to, but I explain my situation, instead, I just changed my life completely always healthy, organic and fruits fruits, tropical in my years in Oz, and here in Mallorca, loved macadamia nut bread and cheeses, bread is bad, who would have thought that, but I do now, so for 11 months I have not had bread pasta, potatoes or rice, truly! walk min 5klm a day up to 8 depending on weather and time, eat as you yogurt and strawberries for breakfast 3 days a week, but I intermittent fast 2 days for 18 hrs and one day for 24, and its this routine regime WITHOUT ANY MEDICATION WHATSOEVER, THAT GOT MY A1C DOWN 23% IN JUST 4 MONTHS.

Did I get a pat on the back from my Doctor when he saw the results no, it was simply, its lowered because you are metformin patting himself on the back he had done his job, that's what they are there for just to prescribe pills, I had pleasure to raise to his attention, with no respect to him, but I was not taking \metformin, and decided to change my life diet and exercise more and that is also keeping my finger numbers down 88mg/dl for Random, 84 for 2 hr after eat and 80 mg/dl wonderful for fasting level, and these are not JUST HAVING A GOOD DAY, these levels of finger testing which I do only now every four months!!!! not daily, hourly weekly or monthly, they are the same levels CONSISTENTLY, ONE OR TWO NUMBERS UP OR DOWN.

I hope by outlining this, without taking your happiness away, its great your levels are as you inform, but it is because of medication, and false reading at the end of the day unfortunately.

Try intermittent fasting, view Dr. Jason Fung he is amazing in his viewings on Diabetes and eat Keto eating plan shown on Dietdoctor website, that's all I eat, wonderful real food, butter cream, and lost 21 kilos on the weigh in yesterday in 11 months and feeling the fittest I have done for years and still surfing daily at 68 years of age.

Good Luck.

Mallorca
Well, I don't think that I will be inviting you to my party lol. Metformin may help somebody with diabetes, yes, but surely her diet is a very big contributor?...So you have done everything through diet alone? Well, I could say. Well, you still would have high sugar in your body if you downed the spuds cakes high carbs. So in a way, you have not actually reversed your diabetes or pre-diabetes because if you were to start eating those things again you would be back to square one. You are merely controlling your sugars through not eating things that you like. There does that feel like a downer? lol

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I don't think that I will be inviting you to my party lol. Metformin may help somebody with diabetes, yes, but surely her diet is a very big contributor?...So you have done everything through diet alone? Well, I could say. Well, you still would have high sugar in your body if you downed the spuds cakes high carbs. So in a way, you have not actually reversed your diabetes or pre-diabetes because if you were to start eating those things again you would be back to square one. You are merely controlling your sugars through not eating things that you like. There does that feel like a downer? lol
Can I come to your party please?! ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put a lot of effort into controlling my blood sugar levels, I count my carb intake very accurately (50-70g/day), I test very regularly to check if my body isn’t tolerating something I’ve eaten. I don’t eat pasta, rice, normal bread or cereals. Metformin does very little to lower blood glucose levels and my levels do not spike and dip dramatically so I have faith that my HbA1c is an accurate reflection of my readings. It has also helped me lose 27.6kg easily, which will help too. I’m happy to take Metformin for the small amount it helps my blood sugar by stalling liver dump and helping ease insulin resistance, and also for the other benefits it gives. Fasting doesn’t suit me, I’ve tried it, my blood glucose levels just rise until I eat! I tested that recently when I fasted for my blood test.
I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with my Diabetes and you’re obviously happy with your way and thus we have to agree to differ.

For what it's worth (as a know-nothing newbie) but WOW well done!! That's over 4 stones!!