Frustrated by an experiment

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just got some strips and tested after lunch. 3 different fingers both hands and got three different results just for fun. From 11.4 to 8.8

Which number would you go with? Lowest or highest. Or an average?
The strips are from ebay and are expired. But lancets are fine.
Have ordered from the GP. Hopefully they can get me some.
Using an BGSTAR kit. Shall I abandon and get new up to date system?
Any advice?

D

Deleted Account

I can think of a few reasons why you could get different results in addition to the strips being past their expiration date:
- especially as you have just eaten, there is a possibility you have some carbs on some of your fingers which would affect the readings
- our meters are not super accurate. Let's say the actual number was exactly in the middle: 10.1. The values you got varied about 13% from this. I have read that meters give results within 15%.
- within the tolerance from the last point is also the consideration that your BG may actually be rising or falling. For example, when I have just completed 30 minutes of intensive exercise, my BG often drops 2 units within 10 minutes if I don't topped it up with something sweet. Likewise, especially after a hypo, I expect my BG to rise sharply after some glucose tablets.

Reactions: katie505

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi shoes - it could be the strips. In simple terms the strips are treated with an enzyme which breaks down over time. However, personally I have used expired strips and they've been OK. I had to change my meter recently as it went really do-lally and was measuring waay over. Is your meter new?
My current meter was given to me by the chemist who got them from the rep. Got it free mainly because once the producer get their mitts on you they like to keep you!
So short answer - might be your strips - might not.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know a type I that always tests on the same finger as he swears that he gets totally different reading from different fingers ! #ouch

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Out of curiosity, I gave my hands a good wash and I tested 2 fingers on each hand and......same answer on all 4.

Reactions: katie505

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your test gear is not in date you should not even bother to use it.
If you do decide to use it make no decisions based on the information it gives.
If you decide to act on the information do not be at all surprised if things do not turn out well.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your test gear is not in date you should not even bother to use it.
If you do decide to use it make no decisions based on the information it gives.
If you decide to act on the information do not be at all surprised if things do not turn out well.
I think it was a temporary fix while waiting for more strips from the doc if I remember correctly. Shoesy24 has had some good figures I seem to recall. Hopefully prescription strips supplied again.