Frustrated

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat till around 11.00 as I can't stomach anything to early and then dinner around 5/6.00 but then I will probably have something 8.00ish and thinking about it not because I'm hungry or anything just out of habit.. so I can stop that..

Can't drink coffee horrible stuff lol .. but I am now armed with a new little carb note book and lots of ideas from all you guys. Also feeling a bit more positive about like you say going back to basics and stripping back what actual carbs I am having and looking at the fruit situation.

Thanks everyone

maybe have a look at
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
for some handy low carb tips.

Reactions: Wuz

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know that thank you I shall start weighing the protein as well

The guidelines for protein vary a lot depending on age, sex, activity levels etc. The 1g per kg weight is a one size fits all and is the minimum amount we should consume, not necessarily the ideal amount. You need what you need. It is an essential component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are made of protein. It builds and repairs tissue. It makes enzymes, hormones and such like. It is an important macronutrient for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood. Unlike fats and carbs, protein is not stored (as protein) by the body, so needs constant supplies. Too little and we suffer.

Some of the excess protein can be broken down and stored in the liver where it is converted to glucose to be used mostly in the absence of carbs or when the body detects too little glucose in the system for its immediate needs, such as during times of exercise or fasting. This is how we get liver dumps.

It is all a fine balancing act.

Reactions: Wuz

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry about protein or fat - your DN is giving you the standard NHS mantra not backed-up by good science ref the fat. Are you aware that the glitazone drugs are no longer recommended as some side effects can be bad in a few people. I would discuss with the nurse changing to something like Gliclazide which also stimulates the pancreas and is very commonly prescribed.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that's what I mean when I say low sugar (it's just how I say it to friends) I'm possible eating too much fruit now you've said that I have probably about two to three helpings a day (that fit in the palm of my hand).. low fat advice from diabetic nurse because of high cholesterol and to help with weight loss.. I eat very little fat/oil if I cook with it it's normally rapeseed oil in a spray bottle..
Explain to DN that low fat products like yoghurt for example are often full if sugar. That should shut her up.