805896ccc7d2a0dd425338504330d173.jpg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've thrown mine out!
I prefer to grill from my oven as it cooks better.
But if I fry the likes of eggs, I use duck fat or goose fat, so nice!!
I also fry my mushrooms, toms and onions!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a George Foreman grill and it is too wimpy - it only gets hot enough to dry out the food, not to cook the fat - which can leave it rather nasty in texture.
Before the George Foreman I had a cheap one from Lidl, which had a thermostat, which the George Foreman doesn't. That was very good.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is best to do?

Wouldn't touch it, personally. I'm trying to up my fat, not lower it! Fat is the macro least likely to interfere with weight loss and, as I understand it, increase in bsl, so I'm not mucking around with lovely fried eggs, low carb sausage and bacon. Now I'm hungry. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I use a heavy cast iron frying pan with a lid - it is mirror smooth and jet black - seasoned, it is called. I usually use fat from cooking lamb or hogget for frying. I get a whole one from the butcher and he cuts it into small portions and I get the bits and bones to render down for the fat. I roast the bits and pour the fat into warm water, to clean it of the juices.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Wouldn't touch it, personally. I'm trying to up my fat, not lower it! Fat is the macro least likely to interfere with weight loss and, as I understand it, increase in bsl, so I'm not mucking around with lovely fried eggs, low carb sausage and bacon. Now I'm hungry. :)

Is there such a thing as a low carb sausage?

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Is there such a thing as a low carb sausage?

From memory black farmer sausages are 1 carb per sausage and lidl outdoor reared (i think the delux range) are 2 carbs per sausage.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm just having some particularly unhealthy Waitrose rich and smokey chorizo sausage, (I'll make up for it tomorrow) 3.8g of carb per 2 sausage.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
From memory black farmer sausages are 1 carb per sausage and lidl outdoor reared (i think the delux range) are 2 carbs per sausage.

The brands Debbie & Andrews and Heck are around the same carb value.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I agree about Black Farmers sausages. Also major supermarkets have their own brands of 97% meat.

I did try ALDI's 97% pork sausages but they tasted nothing like sausage in fact they were disgusting, anyway I wont give up will try the ones you mentioned.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Will look in Lidl when I go for their fab protein rolls, hope the sausages are as good as their rolls.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unhealthy because of the carbs of course...

No, saturated fat pushes my cholesterol up, and chorizo is a heavily processed meat of course.
But I had a couple with a dry fried stir fry, so low enough calorie. :)