G4 and XDrip

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I own two Dexcom G4 receivers. One of them has a faulty screen but still works other than that. Does anybody know if it is possible to build an xdrip to connect to the faulty receiver and use that for around home but still have another G4 working as normal for carrying when out and about?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You would use an xDrip box to connect to a phone - instead of using a receiver.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the XDRIP box plug into a receiver though? I thought thats how it works.
My thoughts are that I could avoid carrying around an extra box with me when out of the house by just using my other G4 receiver. One receiver connected to an xdrip and then on to a phone. The other box working as a regular receiver. Will the G4 transmitter transmit to two devices

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No The xDrip box is a "wireless"/bluetooth device which captures data from the transmitter on the sensor & sends it to the xDrip app on your phone.
I 'm not sure if you can use two receivers connected to one transmitter - someone else may know.
You can use a receiver & an xDrip at the same time because the xDrip is just "intercepting" the transmitted data.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @crumpy, you can use your G4 receiver with a broken screen to upload to NightScout. The details are here: http://www.nightscout.info/wiki/welcome/basic-requirements

It requires you to plug your receiver into a mobile phone to get connected to the internet, but it is the original way of using G4 with NightScout.

From what I recall, you can run with multiple G4 receivers as the G4 system uses 900MHz broadcast rather than a direct bluetooth connection with the transmitter, which is why the xDrip wireless bridge that @DunePlodder mentions works.

Reactions: crumpy

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I'll have a look at the link and give it a go.