G5 vs Sony SW3 vs Medtronic

Gascoigne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Sorry if I am asking previously answered questions. I am using the libre with glimp and a nfc enabled sony smartwatch. I have a medtronic 640g pump.
Following a really bad hypo resulting in a seizure overnight I'm considering trading up to a dexcom g5 so I can have the alarms and also perhaps be more trusting of the values.
I really like having a watch with my BG on - is this possible with a g5? I've seen a few threads saying there isn't an apple watch app, there is an app called watchsugr, does anyone here use this system? I don't know if I'll be able to use a dexcom app on my sony now I've messed with its nfc.
I would love the medtronic guardian but I think the cost of the medtronic sensors will put it up to about £250/month rather than the dexcom's possible £150 which is getting out of my price range - is there anyway of making it cheaper or is the dexcom the way to go?
Thank you!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Blucon, which is a libre transmitter, is supposed to be coming out at end of April, 110 dollars as a one-off cost, and although they don't say it on their website, their twitter feed has a recent post on it sayng, "app will provide low/high alerts". The FAQS page says it will be launched in unspecified European countries. Don't seem to have got their CE mark yet, so maybe it'll slip. If the twitter site is correct that it gives alerts, I'd definitely give that a go.

https://www.ambrosiasys.com/

https://mobile.twitter.com/ambrosia_sys?lang=en

You say you have an nfc enabled sony smartwatch. Have you tried LibreAlarm so as to get alerts?

https://github.com/pimpimmi/LibreAlarm/wiki

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Gascoigne as you have a 640G, why not go with the Enlite system? SmartGuard on 640G will not just alert you, but will have a huge impact in stopping you going low overnight. Admittedly the sensors don't last as long as the Dexcom G5 (my best is 12 days, but I know @yingtong has reached 19 regularly), and I'm aware of others that have achieved this too.

You might want to have a read of this before you make a decision as the accuracy of the Enlites with the current Guardian 2 Transmitter, as @donnellysdogs can attest to, is excellent.

This can also be used with the 640G Uploader, which would allow you to use any of the watch apps that work with Nightscout.

Gascoigne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you guys! For some reason didn't get the alerts there were replies so am late back to the thread but will read now

Gascoigne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tim2000s how much does it work out for you a year? Is that £490 for the sensors plus say 30 sensors (if 12 days each) so £1581? And is 640G uploader an app?
Thank you for the article, really useful. I am seeing my DSN soon and I'll ask for a trial

Reactions: glavesr