Gaining muscle mass

elliegirl60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone have trouble keeping muscle? I have been T2 for 5 yrs. Recently I have noticed that although I do weights and cardio I am losing muscle mass. I take Jardiance 10mg daily and metformin ER 500x2 morning and evening.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone have trouble keeping muscle? I have been T2 for 5 yrs. Recently I have noticed that although I do weights and cardio I am losing muscle mass. I take Jardiance 10mg daily and metformin ER 500x2 morning and evening.

have you gotten your blood glucose down into normal levels or do you have very raised blood glucose numbers ?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also, remember that Jardiance can "hide" Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) as doctors forget that someone taking Jardiance can be in DKA with a much lower BG than is normal.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is certainly the case that high blood sugar levels and dka will cause you to lose weight and muscle. How drastic is the loss - have you noticed this yourself or has your gym got a body scanner type assessment tool? Subtle changes in exercise regime can cause the appearance of your body to change - my husband lost 'mass' as he became more lean but was still gaining muscle. Do you use a gym where there are instructors?

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is certainly the case that high blood sugar levels and dka will cause you to lose weight and muscle but that is an extreme situation and you would feel ill. How drastic is the loss - have you noticed this yourself or has your gym got a body scanner type assessment tool? Subtle changes in exercise regime can cause the appearance of your body to change - my husband lost bulk appearance as he became more lean but was still gaining muscle. Do you use a gym where there are instructors?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app