Gaining weight :-(

Ballerina

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I too was disappointed not to lose more weight despite cutting carbs drastically 12 weeks ago. But a steady 1 pound a week later,I feel this is a good and healthy way to manage my "diet". So don't give up,look forward to the good test results ,find out all kinds of useful advice on this forum.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've gone back to good old fashioned basic foods and taking enough insulin to keep my bgs low enough for me to lose weight. Walking in pain, only.
In total agony today. Done too much I'll suffer more tomorrow! 3 walk outs today. I have the energy but not the pain threshold. :(

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am planning to brew my own ginger beer, having obtained some brewer's yeast and feeding it with sugar so it is raring to go.
The plan is to put a pot of ground ginger into a bottle with water and some of the yeast, then add a little sugar each day so alcohol is produced and the ginger is extracted. Opening the bottle each day releases the pressure.
After a week I take five 2 litre bottles and pour out a cup of the ginger brew for each one then fill up the bottles with water to which the juice of two lemons has been added. I used to add quite a bit of sugar, some of which was still in the beer when I drank it, but now I plan to add just enough sugar to make the drink fizzy. It will then be necessary to experiment with sweeteners to see what the best tasting one is, and how many tablets I will need to dissolve before adding the ginger beer to the glass. If I get the amount of sugar right then it will not be necessary to chill the bottles to stop the yeast working, it will just run out of food and go dormant.

DawnGH2304

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am pretty sure Dr Fung a la 'The Obesity Code' would say - try intermittent fasting. (And Prof Noakes would say - see if moving more helps?) (but that latter is really an individual thing - for many exercise does not affect weight much, but as you know I am sure - exercise absolutely helps insulin sensitivity and shunts excess blood glucose into muscle cells, which is good for us). IF helps me get to and from my 'weight set point' (if that is the expression) but not to maintain an actual weight loss, though, as I said above.

Saying that, weight maintenance is no small thing in the obesity/T2D stakes either! (And there does seem to be something in the post menopausal or perimenopausal women finding it harder to lose weight? That ol hormone thing?) (There is a great book on it, which I will hunt up in my notes and post on.)

By the way - I think 'obesity' is a ghastly word! I used to call myself 'pleasantly plump' back in the days when I had mild metabolic syndrome, and did not understand about insulin resistance. And then, later, unsurprisingly a couple of years before diagnosis when I discovered the joy of drinking a daily schweppes ginger ale (isn't it awful when you could be a walking red flag for diabetes? but you don't know it?!) I would go as far to say 'fat'. Now I watch my belly closely for fat gain and the dreaded fat on the organs, and yes - IF does work beautifully for cutting the belly fat - which is my danger point.

But if that is you in your pic @DawnGH2304- you have no sign of 'truncal obesity' in your face! (For me - gathering a number of chins back in the plump and fat days.) This is a good sign when it comes to stripping fat for health reasons? You must not have a whole lot of fat to strip?

Ha ha yes that is me in the photo, about 18 months ago. I am not vastly overweight, probably about a stone and a half but it is all sitting around my middle, due I am sure to the dreaded menopause. I initially went to the doctor because I was struggling to lose the newly acquired 'rubber ring' and that prompted a string of blood tests which revealed my prediabetes and the liver enzyme problems. After further tests and a liver scan I was told to go away for a couple of months and try to lose some weight and then they are going to recheck. Well 5 weeks along and I haven't lost a single pound but I am hoping that the cutting out of bread, pasta, potato and rice will have at least have had some effect of my blood sugar if not my weight! I have not tried intermittent fasting, can't say the thought appeals to me. Someone suggested that I may not be eating enough fat so I am trying this week to add more and see if that makes any difference. At this point I don't really want to get too finicky, I have just made, I thought, sensible swaps and changed low fat for higher fat where possible. I have also cut out as much artificial sweetener and additives as I can and have made an effort to make some (not all, I am working on it) of ours meals from scratch, mostly from Michael Moseley's 8 wk blood sugar diet recipe book. As I have said, the change in meals etc has resulted in hubby losing a stone so I guess it is along the right lines, I just need to tweak it a bit more to get some weight shifting....... watch this space

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the same I can super low carb and not even loose a lb in weight my weight has been the same for over 2 years I regular exercise everyday but never loose any of my belly fat I'm a man of 38 just had my hba1c back and it's 42 prediabectic range from 55

Reactions: Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to eat strawberries and cream to lose weight.
Last week it was too hot to go shopping until late at night, and there were no strawberries. I thought about buying grapes - bu decided against it, and my weight has gone up just a fraction of a pound.
I cannot claim to be unfortunate.