Gary Scheiner confession..

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It proves he is human and also has a life to live :) I've read plenty of posts from certain people who have perfect! control all the time. I just switch off when they start as no one is perfect, so can see what he means about connecting more with people who admit they have a problem and are not perfect.

Reactions: 6 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that DunePlodder, it's a good summary of the juggling and balancing acts we have to do.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone battling to control their blood glucose should read this page by Gary Scheiner author of "Think like a Pancreas"

http://integrateddiabetes.com/my-diabetes-confession/

I find it refreshing to hear that even the best, most knowlegeable, still struggle - he admits that his HbA1c has "crept up to nearly 8%".
Just shows he is as human as the rest of us .
Not perfect and things in life can impact on the BG levels despite our best efforts .

This condition of Diabetes am sure even convinced has its own pulling power sometimes !
Stress , illness , medication , food and diet , activity/inactivity , weather , vaccinations , other health matters can affect it .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very honest of Gary to say so openly, his lifestyle seems hectic and has no doubt played a big part in letting things slip, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to deal with the many factors that can influence bg control.

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Very honest of Gary to say so openly, his lifestyle seems hectic and has no doubt played a big part in letting things slip, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to deal with the many factors that can influence bg control.
His honesty on this - makes him more real and approachable .
He isn't perfect and neither am I .
Like the guy 'more' for this honesty he conveys about his own diabetes .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
His honesty on this - makes him more real and approachable .
He isn't perfect and neither am I .
Like the guy 'more' for this honesty he conveys about his own diabetes .

It is very honest of him and I'm sure everyone appreciates his openness, did notice the article was dated March 2014 so hope he has managed to get things back on track.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very interesting. I've found his advice on his Think Like a Pancreas book to be invaluable. It's extremely good. A lot of us have periods when our control has dipped. I had one last year when I was busy and stressed in work. Still, 8% is a bit high for someone who's written the Bible for insulin users.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If we had predictable lives we'd have predictable BG readings. Maybe I'm speaking for myself only though, I struggle to manage my BG when travelling, different time zone, temperatures, and schedules. Stress hormones make a massive difference for me as well, last year, I had an incident when after the usual basal, and no breakfast, and a particularly stressful meeting / training I had > 20mmol.

Gary is the beacon of light for us still I think, his book is worth it's weight in gold.

Reactions: 10 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it would help us if it was more readily acknowledged that bs levels are extremely difficult to control, even with wonderful pumps, meters, insulins, diet etc.
Good on Gary Scheiner for voicing what we all know: so many things militate against ideal control. Bernstein is also good at being honest about the fact that controlling our blood sugar isn't a walk in the park, :) (Hoho, maybe it is sometimes!)
Driving, hotels, flying, stress, other people's stress and/or needs, other people's attitudes or prejudices, too much going on, work, exercise, lack of exercise, sleeping too long or too little, running out of strips, can't find diary or pen, feeling discouraged, feeling ecstatic, feeling ill, ..., Wait, sum it up: being human.

Reactions: 5 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting. I've found his advice on his Think Like a Pancreas book to be invaluable. It's extremely good. A lot of us have periods when our control has dipped. I had one last year when I was busy and stressed in work. Still, 8% is a bit high for someone who's written the Bible for insulin users.

Maybe, but a bit harsh to call Scheiner's book a Bible for insulin users. :).
Chapter 1, verse 2:
"I too find diabetes to be a royal pain in the butt."
These are Scheiner's first words in 'Think Like a Pancreas'. He doesn't set himself up as someone who has all the answers. In fact, he lists in that first chapter all the problems for diabetics that have NOT yet been solved by experts and research.

Reactions: 6 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe, but a bit harsh to call Scheiner's book a Bible for insulin users. :).
Chapter 1, verse 2:
"I too find diabetes to be a royal pain in the butt."
These are Scheiner's first words in 'Think Like a Pancreas'. He doesn't set himself up as someone who has all the answers. In fact, he lists in that first chapter all the problems for diabetics that have NOT yet been solved by experts and research.
I just think it contains a lot of useful information that is not forthcoming from HCPs.

Reactions: 2 people