eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've been diagnosed with gastritis and a gastric ulcer after an endoscopy last week. My BGs are a bit erratic due to poor digestion and poor appetite. I am taking Esomeprazole 40mg twice daily. I have been reducing my insulin now and again to combat lower than usual BGs.

Anybody got any advice regarding diet and which foods are better absorbed or tolerated with gastric problems ?

Much appreciated - Edward.:)

S

Shar67

Avoid anything fizzy avoid fizzy drinks, to give your tummy a rest it is best to eat plain fairly bland food for a week or 2.White fish, chicken, etc. green veg can be hard to digest when tummy is playing up, so it is better to eat it as soup.
I found dairy was a problem but it is trial and error everyone is different. Eat little and often, 7/8 small meals instead of 3/4.
I could tolerate a bit of spice though I was eating very very spicy before.
Don't eat late and if you dont already use 2 pillows in bed. I couldn't tolerate seeds or oats but if you can both are good fillers.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks folks. I will check out the links provided. I don't drink alcohol or any fizzy drinks so that's already a start. Not been eating much dairy but starting to crave my cheese again. I am also eating small but more regularly too. I will try out the diets recommended. :)

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm going to try the cranberry juice cocktail as suggested by @catherinecherub, sounds good.:)

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@eddie1968

I have gastric ulcers and cranberry juice plays havoc with me.
I always have a bottle of peppermint Gaviscon to hand, but I don't know what, if anything, it does to BS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Pears are also rich in Flavonoids fiber and anti oxidants both the skin and the pulp mostly the skin for fibre.

and also a lot of people here use psyllium husks for fibre.

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking Gaviscon over a long period of time can cause gall stones

I take Lansoprazole, so only take Gaviscon when tum is really playing up with acid reflux & heartburn etc. I also put the peppermint one as I find the original aniseed 1 not to my taste.

Reactions: 5 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I have but only recently after some people on here recommended them so as have not been using them very long even though they seem to help I cannot be sure as yet. I bought a Kilo bag off Amazon.