gastroparesis driving

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone here have gastroparesis/slow colon or sugar levels that are hard to manage and drive

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have had slow colonic for 4 years. Been pretty much paralysed since Sept 2015.
New drug Amitiza has improved it by 50% though!! Am on it permanentl now but can be given by a Consultant. They are only meant to be prescribed by consultants for a max of 4 weeks. After 4 weeks my colon wasn't kick started but after 3 months it has now improved my colon by 50% compared to 4 years ago.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the equivalent of gastroparesis (as explained by my gastroenterologist) in my oesophagus... my stomach is ok aside from inflammation, and I have IBS the lower half. So quite often driving for me especially in the mornings is quite painful. I've just eaten breakfast though and that may be why as my digestion is slower than normal. People may say well eat breakfast early, etc... doesn't work as I have a tight time frame from time of getting up, taking my meds that have to be taken with food, getting dressed, and heading to work. But I usually don't have issues with my blood sugar... although no doubt I may spike on my way to work as still digesting.... but I feel fine other than the pain I get.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

You have to inform DVLA of any medical condition that your doctor believes would affect ability to drive.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have slow "digestive transit" (there's posh) but it has not been a much of a problem since I retired. The house has three toilets so a bit of non regularity is manageable. The biggest problem seems to be when I have to attend for the Bowel Cancer Screening Program. Four times now and they still have never managed to empty the colon with their el zippo laxative. Each doctor has put "needs more stuff" in the notes but so far I still get complaints from the foot of the surgical table from the bloke holding the camera on a stick.

That's less of a problem now since I have completed round one.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to inform DVLA of any medical condition that your doctor believes would affect ability to drive.

Yes, I don't think that is in question. I have a medical assessment done annually where I live (not in UK) to renew my licence.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have slow "digestive transit" (there's posh) but it has not been a much of a problem since I retired. The house has three toilets so a bit of non regularity is manageable. The biggest problem seems to be when I have to attend for the Bowel Cancer Screening Program. Four times now and they still have never managed to empty the colon with their el zippo laxative. Each doctor has put "needs more stuff" in the notes but so far I still get complaints from the foot of the surgical table from the bloke holding the camera on a stick.

That's less of a problem now since I have completed round one.

Just ask your GP for more!! I had tecent tests again and instead of taking the 5 senna tablets for 2 days and one day of citramag I was allowed to add in picolx and started at 5 days..

Shame they also booked me to have my repeat slow colonic transit test the same time and it had to be altered.... Then had to have 10 days in total with no meds...

If you have slow transit. Amutiza can restart colon a little but that helps, also dulcolax. And low fibre foods...and a back up / reserve of picolax to take to save A&E admittance.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ask your GP for more!! I had tecent tests again and instead of taking the 5 senna tablets for 2 days and one day of citramag I was allowed to add in picolx and started at 5 days..

Shame they also booked me to have my repeat slow colonic transit test the same time and it had to be altered.... Then had to have 10 days in total with no meds...

If you have slow transit. Amutiza can restart colon a little but that helps, also dulcolax. And low fibre foods...and a back up / reserve of picolax to take to save A&E admittance.
I have finished the official program now so that's another problem out of the way. During the program, at each examination the doctor wrote that I need more stuff for next time. This year I got one week of mild laxative then the big sachets (two of) at the end of the week. Only now has the doctor written that I need three sachets. Then I got a letter saying I have completed the program. Good ere ennit.