Gastroparesis.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just discovered he has a second video just on treating the hyperglycemia caused by gastroparesis:

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
:(

I just had my first experience of not being able to keep food down that was possibly brought on by constipation, I don't know. About 90 mins ago I started feeling nauseaus, a good 3-4 hours after eating. It seemed to settle, so I had a snack (an apple, in hindsight not the best choice). Then about 30 mins after that I threw up.

My period just started and that usually makes my stomach feel full even when it's not. I guess this time with bad constipation my GI system just couldn't cope.

I really need to get my constipation under control so my stomach has an easier time of things. I really feel for you guys who have gastroparesis, it must be so hard for you.

Lauraj38

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My partner has lots of the symtoms of GP and is undergoing tests. As I type I am in A&e again with him because of the vomiting.

parko59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read a post here a few days ago saying it is not legal for use in the UK either. :(
I'm from England, and I find it hard to find anything to help me, I go for testing once a year, and results just after, and see a nurse, and at times cant get in to see the nurse, because of all the patients who need to see her, I think diabetics in England need more information on problems that may occur, what type of things can help and what things wont help, I've just been on line and found a low carbs diet to help me, but thank you everyone who are inputting information on these Forums, I will keep popping in

Reactions: 4 people

parko59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are a number of threads about gastroparesis on the forum. I don't have it personally, but I'm a huge fan of Dr Bernstein's work and he has a chapter about it in his book and says a lot of diabetics suffer from it to various degrees. I'll add here some of the information I posted on another thread.

Found these articles on Dr Bernstein's website that might be of help:

http://www.diabetes-book.com/gastroparesis-can-control/
http://www.diabetes-book.com/low-blood-sugar-gastroparesis/
http://www.diabetes-book.com/exercises-facilitate-stomach-emptying/
http://www.diabetes-book.com/controlling-gastroparesis-with-medication/

One of the simpler solutions Dr Bernstein recommends is sugar-free gum after eating to stimulate saliva and gastric function.

Dr Datis Kharrazian (author of "Why Isn't My Brain Working") recommends the following (and slightly odd) "exercises" to help re-activate the vagus nerve:

(1) singing loudly
(2) prolonged strong gargling - i.e. making a loud noise and prolonging as long as possible, preferably to the point of tears
(3) using tongue depressors to activate the gag reflex (governed by the vagus) - probably best done with an empty stomach I guess :)
Thank you for your information, I'm getting as much info as I can, I was thinking I make a diary of day to day information on my diabetes 2 and show this to my Dr or nurse whoever I see first, I'm from England, we I think are kept in the dark to long

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have GP, originally diagnosed as slow colonic transit.

To get care in UK you need to get a referral to a gastroenterologist. I have had excellent help with my stomach and bowel..can't fault the consultants.

There is a new drug just been permitted in UK called Naloxegol. It has to be originally prescribed by a consultant. A GP can't prescribe. It's mainly for people that have lost functioning due to painkillers such as codeine, oxycodone, fentanyl, tramadol, morpheine.
It has only just passed through clinical trials, so side effects have to be noted to chemists or MHRA.
I've only been taking it two days and my stomach will still be blocked from 5 -7 days ago so it will be another week I guess before I know if it is working. So far no side effects though, and boy, that is rare for me...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have GP, originally diagnosed as slow colonic transit.

To get care in UK you need to get a referral to a gastroenterologist. I have had excellent help with my stomach and bowel..can't fault the consultants.

There is a new drug just been permitted in UK called Naloxegol. It has to be originally prescribed by a consultant. A GP can't prescribe. It's mainly for people that have lost functioning due to painkillers such as codeine, oxycodone, fentanyl, tramadol, morpheine.
It has only just passed through clinical trials, so side effects have to be noted to chemists or MHRA.
I've only been taking it two days and my stomach will still be blocked from 5 -7 days ago so it will be another week I guess before I know if it is working. So far no side effects though, and boy, that is rare for me...

Fingers crossed this one is a keeper for you DD

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

@donnellysdogs thanks for info my GI consultant has never addressed my gastroparesis, he keeps saying don't worry we'll get to that, let's sort out, a,b,c,. When I go to next appointment I have a lovely list to discuss and this is going to be on it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs thanks for info my GI consultant has never addressed my gastroparesis, he keeps saying don't worry we'll get to that, let's sort out, a,b,c,. When I go to next appointment I have a lovely list to discuss and this is going to be on it.

Did they do the tests to diagnose the GP? Did they relate it to diabetes causing it or is it idiopathic or painkiller related?
What on earth does GI consultant talk about if it isn't GP?? -lol;)

There is a good Facebook group called "gastroparesis support"... Lots of information on there if you look pre appointment.

My consultant too says let's try "a" which is my new drug Naloxogel and if that doesn't work we'll think of plan b,c d....

Seems like plan b,c,d is the new NHS words... My pain consultant says the same too!

S

Shar67

Did they do the tests to diagnose the GP? Did they relate it to diabetes causing it or is it idiopathic or painkiller related?
What on earth does GI consultant talk about if it isn't GP?? -lol;)

There is a good Facebook group called "gastroparesis support"... Lots of information on there if you look pre appointment.

My consultant too says let's try "a" which is my new drug Naloxogel and if that doesn't work we'll think of plan b,c d....

Seems like plan b,c,d is the new NHS words... My pain consultant says the same too!

We theorise a lot about my pancreas, that pain meds cause so many other problems, GP is just one of the many things to happen when digestive system is totally f*cked. We normally have a student and he asks them what they would look at for causes of panc issue and why other problems are connected. I usually end up getting tests that both I and the consultant know aren't going to help, sometimes he laughs at suggestions or we've already been down that road.
Very early on I had Botox injections into tummy to smooth out the muscles and empty it, only problem with that is the time it takes to work, 20 minutes is the usual, but sometimes up to an hour or more.
The other problem is I can't take certain meds as they are either contradict the ones I take or I have allergic reaction, lost count how many times that has happened.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Crikey you and me are similar in some ways... I have huge intolerance to a lot of drugs..all painkillers except morphine.. (Which killed stomach off....)..

If your stomach may be in anyway possible linked to painkillers I hope your Doc heard of Naloxegol. One tablet in morning.
I'm surprised so far I've tolerated this drug as I can't tolerate any anticancer tablet....

I am also totally intolerant to aspartame, sweeteners, preservatives and now lactose....so like you I guess, its really hard to find things to eat...

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetic Educators, people who do not listen, people who do not actively try to make their situation better, people who think I am in their textbook, people who think I am a standard T1D.
I have had Gastroparesis that has gotten worse in the last 5 years. I have bouts of not being able to eat any solids and severe vomiting . Here in the states our options for treatment are limited because of the FDA. They give gastric pacemakers on a very limited basis and for what they call a "compassionate" basis and the medicine I took for it at one time caused tics and uncontrollable tremors , I eventually had a small stroke and my neurologist thought it was possible caused by that medicine . My question is if anyone out there has severe gastroparesis and if so what kind of treatment are you using ? How do you control your vomiting and what do you eat/drink ? Thanks .
Oh Anaelena, I want to cry for you. I also have DGP, very badly. I was visiting ER for awhile, 2 per week. We are on a first name basis with them, seriously. We know them so well, they allow me to keep my CGM and Pump and actually log based upon my electronics. Usually when I go in tho, the pain is so bad, I am incoherent.

When I go into full on DGP it terrifies my family. There is no relieving the pain as you know, we are not allowed to have anything to knock us out. I just want to sleep through it. When I go into ER they give me 2 bags of Dilaudid, 2 bags saline, inline reglan and they release me, in pain. I have noticed with mine, it grows stronger every day. Mine is also in the shape of an anchor. It goes straight across my ribcage, straight down to my bellybutton and kind of a smile on my hips. When I go into full on DGP, my husband can stop it every once in awhile with the following horribly dangerous mixture, which my doctors all say is perfectly safe and fine: 2 zzQuils, 2 Advil Pms, 2 Aleve, 2 GasX. That is not dangerous except he gives this to me every 2 hours as it only knocks me out for 1.

I went on a clinical trial here in San Diego in November 2015. I was testing Metoclopramide in nose spray form. This was great, it did not just sit on the top of the rotting food. It did not work either. As with the other forms of Meto, it gave me the shakes very badly. Since this is not on the market nor available, I was given a liquid form of Meto. I still have that bottle, almost full. I will not take any of the prescriptions they think I should take for this. Each and every one was for heartburn of some type and that is not my problem. My problem is nothing is moving, it is sitting there rotting, literally. It smells like landfill when it is finally purged. I have seriously tried everything a medical person has recommended. I give it up to 3 months and if nothing happens or I keep ending up in ER, I stop.

According to the GI and Therapists:
The main rule: At LEAST 5 small meals per day.
Keep a log of what you eat and note foods that cause the DGP symptoms. I cannot eat peanut butter, Baskin Robbins and a bunch of other things. I too went onto the liquid diet. I became so weak I could hardly move, I was not getting enough nutrients. Now, I am still pretty weak but I can do things again. I just do not absorb the nutrients as I should now.
Exorcise. This one cracks me up. There is no way on this planet I am going to exorcise, the motion of moving the stomach makes me black out from the pain.
Try soaking in warm water that covers your stomach. I have tried this and while it used to work, now the pressure of the water against my stomach makes me pass out from the pain.
Lay on your right side. For some reason it is easier for stuff to pass through when people lay on their right side. I was doing this instinctively.
And the last one that is going to get someone punched, breathe. I really would breathe, I am rather fond of it, but when my lungs move in and out filling with air, that makes the pain so bad I will happily suffocate myself.

Mine is like a migraine on steroids of the digestive system. It seems my whole Vagus nerve is asleep.

I had a gastric emptying test done as my medical group would not help me nor would they diagnose me, my husband diagnosed me. At Rainbow Hospital I could only eat 2 bites of a wonderful chicken salad sandwich that was shot with chemicals. They had me lay on the xray table for 90 mintues. At 60 minutes I had 85% of those two bites still in my system. At 60 minutes I still had 80%.

Here is what I am doing now and I have a life again. I still am nervous about trying to go out to dinner, but I can make my doctors appointments. I take: 1 fish oil pill, 2 GasX, 2Phazyme, 1 Aleve at bedtime. The one thing that I am trying to get another DGP person to try, Smooth Move Tea. I drink 1 cup of that in the morning as soon as I get up before I do anything at all, 1 before bedtime. I was in ER and a hospital stay for the last time for my DGP, March 11. This one was very bad, thus the hospital stay. I started drinking the smooth move tea and I have not been back to ER for that since. I figure it is able to leak into the rotting food and move it along, which it seems to do. I have not had that horrid pain since I began drinking this tea. I have not spoken with anyone else who has DGP. So nice to meet you!

I saw you are also here in the U.S. I buy mine at Vons. I see Amazon sells it in huge quantities, which I need.