GD: Horrific metformin side effects

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam....

In pregnancy woman get cravings, I am a low carber... but I would LOVE to have that large bag of Doritos and dip next to me... see how much I share! :bag:

I hope you don't say that close to her because it would be really upsetting for her. It is hard being judged especially for a pregnant woman who is already vulnerable and hormonal.

I cut my mum out for saying stuff like that close to me, it hurt that when I treated myself (which was once in a while) she would make a huge deal out of it and make out like I was killing myself and my baby... I am 6 months on Wednesday and she still doesn't know I am pregnant, as a good advice and not being nasty I would try to be understanding and supporting, if the midwives and doctors don't have a problem neither should you... if you would like to stay involved to the extent you would like!!!

The original post was about metformin and the use and side effects in pregnancy, maybe we should stick to the topic!?

Reactions: Juicyj and azure

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I wrote - I don't comment, but my son grew up with me eating low carb foods and he is tall and slender, and worried.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

BettyCat

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi all! Been a while but back with an update.

So the consultant took me off the metformin immediately. I don't know why I was so worried! She prescribed 4 units of Humulin every night before bed and gave me some NovoRapid to put in my fridge just in case she needed to advise me to take it over the phone at some point. Well the Humulin worked really well, and I had some hypos. I'd wake up in the morning with a fasting level of under 2 and need to eat Jelly Babies for breakfast! So they reduced the Humulin to 3 units every eve and I decided to try metformin MR which I have been able to tolerate! I take 1,000mg in the morning and 500mg at night and a good 95% of my readings are what they should be. They're generally only high if I've missed my morning metformin, which happens sometimes when I'm sick (like today! Ugh, pregnancy). I'm not really sure how exactly they've come to this conclusion but my consultants are concerned that I have type 1 diabetes so have done some bloods and they should be back in a month or so.

It's so true that there are things that I wouldn't expect to be able to tolerate but can, and vice versa. I can't eat porridge for breakfast or I'll have a reading of 8-something, but two crumpets with a little jam is fine! I generally tolerate carbs very well as long as I have something else with it. A few chips with some fish (no batter) and peas is absolutely fine, as well as pasta and rice as long as I have a good serving of sauce and something with. I'm going on holiday for 10 days tomorrow and I'm not worried about what I'll be able to eat at all, I think I've figured it out.

I reached 28w of pregnancy on Wednesday and had my first growth scan which I was so worried about, but baby is in the 50th centile and everything looks healthy. So I'm handling this well! It's different for every pregnant woman of course, but I've finally figured out what works for me :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to hear that your readings and scans are good - I hope they continue to be so.

My future grand daughter continues to be problematic, having been turned head down her birth went from planned caesarean to induced - the scans show that she is off the scale for size.
At least that bodes well for her being able to deal with the three older children - all boys - but I don't fancy the chances of all the frilly pink garments my daughter in law is envisioning.

BettyCat

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Oh poor thing! How far along is she? I'm not sure how accurate growth scans are though. So many times I've heard of them being way out. It is a worry giving birth to a bigger baby, but I'm guessing they'll also be extra cautious with it? I hear a lot about babies who are born bigger-than-average staying that way, but I'm not sure about that either. I was 5lbs at birth and I'm 176cm! I have four siblings who were all 7-8lbs and I'm the tallest one!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update @BettyCat :)

Although you might not have Type 1, it's really good that your team are so on the ball as to test for it. There are ladies here who were thought to have GD but actually had Type 1. Sometimes that went undetected. You might well 'just' have GD but making sure is a really good thing and you should be confident that you have a great team there :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh poor thing! How far along is she? I'm not sure how accurate growth scans are though. So many times I've heard of them being way out. It is a worry giving birth to a bigger baby, but I'm guessing they'll also be extra cautious with it? I hear a lot about babies who are born bigger-than-average staying that way, but I'm not sure about that either. I was 5lbs at birth and I'm 176cm! I have four siblings who were all 7-8lbs and I'm the tallest one!
She'll be 36 weeks now - at the previous scan the baby was projected to be well over 9lb at 40 weeks, but - they said - you won't be allowed to go to term. They are doing weekly checks, at the start of the week, so they can take her in and induce when they think the time is right. We are on standby to drive over and look after the three boys when the call comes.