General advice on running

xoso

Hi

I'm a 51 year old recently diagnosed Type 2. As part of my exercise regime I've started running again after a break of over forty years (I used to do what was called 'long distance' running as a school kid). I'm starting gentle running three times a week with just short 1-2 mile runs but I'm hoping to build up in both distance and speed. I guess I'd like to aim at being able to take part in some 5k races or even the odd marathon. I suppose my main concern is whether running is actually a good compatible sport for diabetics. I know most runners survive on recovery drinks - I've just looked at one and its essentially just milk powder and sugar - not very diabetic-friendly!

Any general advice and tips on running for diabetics would be greatly appreciated

spideog

Depending on what you've been doing in the intervening years activity wise having finding a couch to 5k training plan to get you started may be suitable. Do a Google for C25k and should be plenty of things pop up.

There is no problem with running marathons, I think I've now done 3 marathons as a diabetic and 3 or 4 years before as a normal person. It did take experimentation as far as how to balance the insulin and sugar intake and that is something you can only really figure out for yourself by trying. But approximately I'd be starting shorter runs/ races with a deliberately slightly high bg and would make it round about an hour OK like that. Anything longer and I'd take an energy gel every 20minutes'ish from the start but that is quite sticky after a couple of hours running.

I'm hoping that the pump I've just been switched on with will make things a bit simpler and I'll be able to cut down the insulin rather than increasing the sugar intake during runs.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Xoso,

I started the couch to 5k Plan after xmas and now running around 20 miles per week no problems. I am doing a 5k in April, 10k in May and a half Marathon in June.

I have been watching carbs since diagnosis and now running almost exclusively on good quality protein from Chicken and fish with some veg and fruit thrown in. I stick to around 40g carbs per day and feel fantastic.

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Carl

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
xoso - if there's one near you, a Parkrun might be a good re-entry event - free 5km run on Saturday mornings, 9am in England & Wales, 9.30am in Scotland). Not allowed to give weblinks, but a search engine will find site for you.