Gestational Diabetes 2nd time around

babyethelred

Hi - I had GD with first child, onset at about 26 weeks, with a borderline GTT, but then on insulin within a few days and taking 60 mls with careful diet by 32 weeks..(All was well and had induction but otherwise natural birth at 38 weeks. No sign of diabetes since.)

After the birth I was told by the team who were treating me that the chances of me having GD again for another pregnancy were very high (95% I think they said), given the level of insulin dependency. However, I have just had a GTT at 27 weeks, and all clear. The hospital nurse who was doing the GTT say they don't want to see me again.

I should be pleased but I am worried. Given the level of insulin last time, and the rapid onset, I am concerned that it just hasn't kicked in yet. Would it be unusual? Interestingly I am having a boy this time, (I had a girl last time around) and wondered if that might have a different trigger on the hormones.

Sadly it cannot be because I have been eating really carefully. I have to say, that I have not been keeping to any strict diets - to my shame I have probably eaten more cake than I would otherwise have done, thinking that I am likely to be banned in the last trimester.

Should I a) demand further GTTs? b) put myself forward as an interesting specimen for research?
c) demand to talk to the diabetic consultant at the hospital?

Many thanks!

Katharine

If your gtt was fine very recently this is very good news.

I wonder if providing you with urine testing strips would be a middle path here?

If you checked your urine a few times a week and got blood tests if two were positive you could minimise blood testing but still pick up gestational diabetes.

I should say that the blood sugar level that is needed before glucose appears in the urine is reduced in pregnancy. This idea would be no use if you are already producing some sugar in the urine despite normal blood sugars.