Gestational Diabetes: Another GD newbie!

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi everyone,
I've been sat having a good read at the topics on here, trying to suck in as much advice as I can find.

I was diagnosed with GD a week ago after reading 7.9 in my GTT. I'm currently 26+7 weeks pregnant and I'm not on medication for it yet. I tested my levels all last week and the nurse seemed happy that it was at the levels that it should be (although she's very cagey when I ask what they are)

I've not been able to see a dietician as they can't fit me in until the 13th Dec... and even then it's just as part of my obs appointment so I'm not hopeful. They are pretty atrocious at communication between departments.

So I'm kind of just making up what I'm eating. Thankfully I'm pretty healthy, I cook from scratch most of the time (although I do like a tin of soup if I'm in a rush for packed lunches - normally Heinz chicken)

I've been eating porridge or weetabix for breakfast, a piece of fruit and a couple of crackers with smoked mackerel mashed with philly cheese as a snack mid morning, some soup, a sandwich or dinner left overs for lunch with maybe an apple mid afternoon then a cooked dinner. I've had cottage pie (not loaded with potato, fish with tomato sauce and pasta, jacket potato with tuna mayo, that kind of thing.

To compound thing, I've suffered with nausea and sickness throughout my pregnancy so I can't let myself get hungry. My sickness hasn't been hyperemesis levels but it certainly isn't easy being sick 2-3 times a day for 6 months. On very bad days my diet was mostly carbs, but thankfully I've not had one since I have been diagnosed.

Sorry for the massive message, I think I'm just looking for a little support and guidance as to whether I'm way off the mark with my eating.

Yesterday I had the highest day I've had and my diet didn't change, but I didn't feel well, slept terribly and hadn't drank much, could this make a difference? My reading were 7, 7.4 and 6.8 am hour after eating my main meals.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Juicyj

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @firsttimemum85 and congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Do speak to your midwife/consultant about your particular target levels, but the page below shows you general,targets:

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/new-thresholds-for-diagnosis-of-diabetes-in-pregnancy

Scroll down to see the targets.

Every woman is different so it's important to,carry on testing to see how you react to different foods. You may find adding extra fat to your meals helps slow down any blood sugar rise eg having full fat milk instead of semi or skimmed, Greek yoghurt instead of low fat, etc.

Gentle exercise can help too - that is, not sitting straight down after a meal (unless you need to). Even pottering around the house tidying can help control your blood sugar better.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing with your diet - that is, moderating your carb portions so you don't have too much at one time. You may have to amend some meals that you've previously enjoyed eg a big bowl of pasta and garlic bread might push your blood sugar too high, but you could have a smaller serving of pasta and add meat or fish along with veg.

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Thanks for the reply Azure. It's all very daunting (and I spent last week pretty miserable, but I'm feeling a little more positive this week). Took a note of what I'd eaten yesterday so hopefully I can control it going forward.

Just enjoying some homemade soup with plenty of barley and lentils and chicken!

Thanks for the links, I will certainly have a look.

So healthy fats are ok (in moderation of course)? I'm so used to a low fat diet. But I do like cheese so if I can enjoy that then there's some silver linings!

Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for the reply Azure. It's all very daunting (and I spent last week pretty miserable, but I'm feeling a little more positive this week). Took a note of what I'd eaten yesterday so hopefully I can control it going forward.

Just enjoying some homemade soup with plenty of barley and lentils and chicken!

Thanks for the links, I will certainly have a look.

So healthy fats are ok (in moderation of course)? I'm so used to a low fat diet. But I do like cheese so if I can enjoy that then there's some silver linings!

Thanks again for the reply.

Hi @firsttimemum85

I'm in the same boat having just found out my glucose tolerance test was abnormal. I don't know exactly what my result was, but they've rushed me out an appointment for Tuesday (my ogtt was on Wednesday), so I'm presuming it needs sorting fairly urgently

I'm feeling really scared and upset about the whole thing

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Elizabeth20472 :)

I've added a tag to,your post above in the hope that firsttimemum85 will see it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) Don't be scared - GD can be controlled, and the good thing is you've now found out you may have it so you can do something about it :) In the past, a lot of ladies with GD were missed, but now they're being spotted and can get the right advice.

Do let us know how your appointment goes.