Gestational diabetes diagnostic criteria?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have a friend who had a fasting blood glucose of 8.0 during her pregnancy, however she was not told she had gestational diabetes. The baby was born at full term with a normal weight and no known health issues.

15 years later, her son from that pregnancy developed T1 diabetes.

There is also a strong family history of T1 and T2 diabetes.

From what I can tell, a FBG of 8.0 would indicate diabetes... is that the case for gestational diabetes?

C

catherinecherub

This is what the NHS has to say about diagnosing gestation diabetes.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gestational-diabetes/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

Every pregnant woman with one or more risk factors should be offered a screening test for gestational diabetes.

Screening identifies otherwise healthy people who may be at increased risk of a condition, such as diabetes. You can then be offered information and further tests to determine whether you have the condition.

Screening
You may be screened for gestational diabetes at your first antenatal appointment with your midwife or GP, which takes place around weeks 8-12 of your pregnancy.

At this time, your GP or midwife will find out if you are at increased risk of gestational diabetes. They will ask about any known risk factors for gestational diabetes, such as whether you have a family history of diabetes.

If any of these risk factors apply to you, you'll be offered a blood test to check your glucose levels. This may also include a glucose tolerance test (GTT).