Gestational Diabetes Started Insulin

Katy1980

Hello, I am 29+4 wks pregnant, newly diagnosed with GD. Due to a thyoid condition the endo has put me straight into insulin injections last Friday. Insulatard 3x and Novorapid 4x daily.

My question is, does it take effect immediately or does it take a few days to settle? My next appointment is Thursday so I'm charting. Fasting bloods are now within target but after meals (all diet controlled) they are still in the 7s .. my target is to be in the 6s..

Thanks for any advice

Katey

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Katy1980 :)

It may take a few days to come down. One reason for this is that you may have been put on conservative doses of insulin to see how you go. These may then be increased if necessary. It will take a little while to get things right, so keep good records of what you eat and your blood sugar results and this will help you and your team get things right :)

Are you counting carbs?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It'll take time to get used to insulin - physically and mentally. I hope you start to feel less tired very soon. The blood sugar levels recommended for pregnancy are very tight, and hard for even long term diabetics to achieve.

If this GD section is quiet, do check out the Pregnancy section here too.

Wishing you all the best XX

Katy1980

It'll take time to get used to insulin - physically and mentally. I hope you start to feel less tired very soon. The blood sugar levels recommended for pregnancy are very tight, and hard for even long term diabetics to achieve.

If this GD section is quiet, do check out the Pregnancy section here too.

Wishing you all the best XX

Thank you very much x