Getting Insurance well licence is being renewed

Cae101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey folks

So the DVLA is giving me the runabout at the moment, I was out of the country for 2 months on the run up to my licence expiring so I wasn't able to get it renewed until I got back. I had an appointment with my GP the week after I got back ( which was 2 weeks after my licence had expired), he had advised me that I would be medically fit to drive and the application shouldn't be a problem, I sent it the following day (20th of August).

Well long story short I havn't had any paper correspondence back from the DVLA, my licence expired on the 29th of July. its been a month and a half since I sent them my application. Luckly because my Dr has advised me I am fit to drive I am able to drive for a total of 12 months provided I havn't been advised to not drive and I have an application sent in. (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/458792/INF188X6_221014.pdf page 2/4). I have called the DVLA twice in the past 2 weeks and they have been there usual useless selfs, was told it was being 'processed by the medical board' and was told nothing further, however the clerk said it should be done 'soon'.

Issue is my insurance on my personal car is expiring in 2 weeks, and even worse the trade insurance for my work, which I NEED to make a living is expiring on the 20th of November and my boss is breathing down my neck to get it sorted, I didn't expect the DVLA to take this long but I honestly dont know what to do, I am a courier by trade so being able to drive is somewhat important to me and they are honestly taking the ****.

Has anyone else experienced trying to get insurance with an expired licence even though I am entitled to drive, I am afraid to call either company in case they invalidate my current policy until I am licenced.

Any advice is welcome, really getting rather worried now, how long is 'normal' for them to send a licence back? I can only assume 2 months is longer than normal and they have dropped the ball on something
CAE

TonyKelpie

As I understand things you are OK with both license and insurance renewal so long as you have not been advised that you are not fit to drive. (Note double negative-the default is that you are assumed fit).
You might find it helpful to phone DVLA and ask them to confirm this. This might stimulate them to put your form in front of a Medical Adviser for approval anyway.
The only real problem area I am aware of is hypos- if you have had two in the last 12 months requiring the help of another person then your license would be withdrawn for 12 months. An important point is receiving help is not the same as requiring it -well meaning people will often give help- the key point as I understand it is was this a hypo that you really could not have sorted out yourself.
Best wishes