Getting rid of type 1

Carol11

How do I get this beast off my back. I can't live like this. I can't deal with this. I can't even control it. My A1C just keeps going up and up no matter how much I try to keep tight control or exercise or starve myself. Not even trying to match insulin does any good. No one will tell me how to get rid of this. I just want my freedom back.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sorry,Carol the short answer is you can't.You're stuck with it like the rest of us...but,we can help you get some control over it and come to terms with it. Tell us a bit about your Hba1c levels ,your daily levels and how much insulin you use/type and what you eat and there will be someone to give you advice.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Carol11
You can't get rid of diabetes, but you can take control. Try going onto low carb. Read Richard Bernstein and follow his "doctrine of small numbers". Low carb andlow insulin doses lead to fewer fluctuations in BG and feeling better. If you let it control you, you will not win and that's unthinkable. Read this forum ; ask for help as often as you feel the need and it will be there for you

DiabeticGeek

No cure, as yet, but there is a lot of hope. There are any number of really promising new treatments that are being investigated by various teams of researchers all around the world. These include stem cell therapy, gene therapy, beta cell transplants, artificial pancreases, new drugs, new delivery systems for old drugs, oral insulin... it is a long list. The difficulties involved in "curing" diabetes are formidable, but it is in theory possible. Be in no doubt - amazing new treatments are coming, and I have very little doubt that some of the members of this forum will live to one day be cured. The important thing is to manage the diabetes well enough so that you can stay healthy enough to be able to benefit from new treatments when they arrive.

Alternatively, when MI5 let Carefix out, he will at least be able to get on with curing all of us T2s :wink:

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Carol,

You are totally not alone with that sentiment at the minute, i reckon we all should run away and hide (that usually solves problems in the movies!) but i guess eventually they always get found.

Keep Smiling, it will turn out ok, It HAS to.

Carol11

Thjanks to all who replied. I've been debating with myself about how much to tell without coming off as a whiny 2 yearold (as opposed to a whiny 62 year old). Intellectually I know ther is no cure but as I said I'm having real problems dealing with this. I'm even crying typing this and I'm on a public access computer at the library. I developed this in March 2007 after a severe lung infection but I can't get any definitive answers if that is the cause or why I got what is essentially a childhood disease at age 60. The doctor's nurse said don't dwell on the questions that can't be answered or read so many medical books but think of the positive. But there are absolutely no positive aspects about this curse that has destroyed my life. Anyway, the A1C results have been creeping upwards from 6.1/Jan, 6.2/April, 6.5/July as well as the weight has been creeping up a pound or two at each visit to the point I'm creeping into overweight territory. I exercise at least twice, usually three times a day (a brisk walk-can't afford a gym) and the carbs are no more than 45-60 at breakfast, 30-45 at lunch , 45-60 at supper and I usually keep it under that. I'm on NovoRapid and Lantus. I'm supposed to be 2 at breakfast, 2.5 at lunch and 4.5 at supper and 13 Lantus at bedtime. Although I do up the NovoRapid if the bg readings are elevated, I asked about carb counting at the last visit to the endo (July) bu he seemed to be happy at what the results were so he said to leave it as is. I tried doing a detailed daily account of what I ate , dosage and exercise before the last visit but he wasn't all that interested-I even bought a box of strips myself to cover all the testing. I spiked after meals then gradually went back down (sorry I forgot to bring that) and I found that after exercise I would go right down as "they" say but I would rebound right back up by the next reading. I was told that's just the way my system is. I'll put down my readings for the past three days. The readings are at the top or over the range I'm supposed to be.
Monday-7:57 Am 5.3 2nr
12:04 6.3 3nr
4:56 6.8 5nr
9:04 7.1 13lantus

Tuesday 8:02 AM 6.4 2.5nr
8:05 4.6
12:07PM 5.9 5n
4:52 5.4 4.5nr
9:03 7.9 13 lantus

Wednesday 7:57AM 6.1 2.5nr
11:51 7.7 3nr
4:55 7.7 7nr
9:03 9.8 13 lantus

Thursday 7:57AM 6.2 3.5nr

I know yo're going to think that the readings aren't that bad compared to others but to me they are no where near where they have to be. To get the A1C down I should never have a reading over 5.6 and right now I'm thinking I have some soert of infection as I fell on that healthy walk
and drew blood from the scrapes on my hands and knees. Thanks again for the kind words. I'm not as depressed today as before-that comes and goes as well. Carol

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
We often set ourselves tighter targets than the medics do. Then feel they don't support us in our efforts. I'm the same age as you (61) and have a GP who understands my need for tight control, but doesn't really believe it's necessary. i'm not on insulin and mean to keep it that way. I eat Low carb, trying for Bernstein's 30g per day. I can keep down to 5.0 -5.6 that way, but it creeps up fast if I "cheat". I can't get below 5 though, without taking more kinds of medication and I don't plan on doing that. I'm only getting HbA1c and eye checks once a year, so can't tell how I'm doing in the long term. I dropped some medicines, because tthey were causing weight increase. I got up to 107 kg. Which is near 17 stone. I then took command and went lower carb and now my weight is coming down (89kg) this week. What you do is probably less important than taking charge of this and not letting it take chage of you.