Getting test results from dr's surgery

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a post about this somewhere but now I can't find it.
My surgery has Patient Access, but I've only ever used it to order repeat prescriptions - used to be able to make appointments but they stopped that.
Following the advice in the thread I wrote a note to the practice manager asking if I could have access to my test results. Someone phoned me within 2 hours and said she had enabled access, but she wasn't sure if it would apply to past results or just future ones. I went on line and had a look, it's all there back to around 2000 (but believe me there isn't much as I only go the Dr as a last resort!) In 17 years I've never had a fasting blood test until now.
The thing I liked most was the weight chart. It turns out that I only need to lose 2kg to weigh the same as I did 17 years ago (OK it did go up a lot around 2009, but I have lost a lot!)
So thanks to whoever posted the original thread.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my Drs surgery is good at something, sadly it's not patient care!
I requested it online and it was ignored. Will speak to the doctor I'm getting the most sense out of at my next appointment

Reactions: Prem51

wislonp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had a new experience this week. I have my, now, annual check up next week with the diabeties nurse. Last year my surgery dropped the need to see a doctor. So I had my blood test last week at the local hospital. Yesterday I received a letter from my doctor inviting me to make an appointment as 'the test results show poor diabetics control'. Well I had sorted expected this to be discussed face to face with the nurse. Clearly my appointment with the nurse hasn't been linked by the doctor. Left hand, what left hand. So I ring up for an appointment and the earliest I was offered is 20th April. Hmmmm

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I checked my vaccinations there were all sorts of childhood ones, going back further than I would have dreamt they would have online. Then a huge gap during which I am sure I had tetanus at least... and then a few more that I remember.

Actually, that reminds me. I should have another tetanus, because of gardening.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I requested it online and it was ignored. Will speak to the doctor I'm getting the most sense out of at my next appointment
I just wrote a note to the practice manager saying NHS England had suggested test results should be made available a year ago and could I have access to mine. It's probably one of the administrators who'll do it anyway, not the dr. Good luck!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I checked my vaccinations there were all sorts of childhood ones, going back further than I would have dreamt they would have online. .
My records only seem to go back to 2000, even then I was slightly older than a child :) but I have been with the practice for around 25 years.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have raved about online access as I was trialled as the first patient at my last Practice to view my notes.

Not all GP's use the same software though or have the same allowances to patients.

Patient Access and Systmonline are good.

GPs that use systmonline can also offer fantastic ways for patients to book appointments.

Our GP Practice using systmnonline allows Patients to book telephone appointments. Its no longer needed to see a GP, they phone you for an appt. if they think you need to be seen you are guaranteed to be seen on the day... if they can deal with over the phone then thats how they do it.
Brilliant system. Takes patients a while to get used to getting telephone calls from GPs before being given an appt at surgery but it is soooo good.

Online, some patients can view more than others, depending what GPs have agreed for the patients to have access to. Most patients will have access to blood results and coded texts what was wrong etc but will not be able to view the freely written text by GPs.

At hospitals nowadays if you ask a Consultant to copy you in on letter they send to GP then most of them will do this without problem.

Well worth being an online patient...

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At my surgery they use Systmonline, which is very good to work with but sadly I can only see data from when I joined the practice about 4 years ago. A few months back I asked about historical stuff and the Practice Manager told me that they are considering this, because in light of the potential for any historical errors or info that could cause an issue for a particular patient, they would be responsible, even though the records and notes were made by some other gp years ago. Not sure if that means the practice or the patient's named gp. I asked my gp the same question, and she also just said that we're working on it. Reading about all the great info that others have got, I do hope I shall be able to see my own historical stuff eventually. In the meantime, I'm glad to have what I've got - easy repeats, on line booking appointments and now test results as well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
At my surgery they use Systmonline, which is very good to work with but sadly I can only see data from when I joined the practice about 4 years ago. A few months back I asked about historical stuff and the Practice Manager told me that they are considering this, because in light of the potential for any historical errors or info that could cause an issue for a particular patient, they would be responsible, even though the records and notes were made by some other gp years ago. Not sure if that means the practice or the patient's named gp. I asked my gp the same question, and she also just said that we're working on it. Reading about all the great info that others have got, I do hope I shall be able to see my own historical stuff eventually. In the meantime, I'm glad to have what I've got - easy repeats, on line booking appointments and now test results as well.

I must have a look how far my records go back... we are on systmonline, previous patientaccess!! And moved every 3 years for 30 years!!

I'll have a look how far back my records go(currently, see if its more than 18 months since we moved here!).

There really ought to be one good standard instead of docs being able to choose!! They are meant to be thinking of the patient!!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There really ought to be one good standard instead of docs being able to choose!! They are meant to be thinking of the patient!!

Totally agree. It appears this is just one among many other issues where people receive different services depending upon (I guess) either the gp, the practice or the postcode. I can sort of understand why they're a bit nervous about wholescale release of records, most of which they haven't checked for accuracy or content, and probably can't ever check completely. Nowadays we are such a litigious society, it must be something they think is a possibility. I can only assume that for my area, their legal adviser is super-cautious. Wonder why other gps can make all records available and are not worried about possible litigation - the mind boggles.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I checked my vaccinations there were all sorts of childhood ones, going back further than I would have dreamt they would have online. Then a huge gap during which I am sure I had tetanus at least... and then a few more that I remember.

Actually, that reminds me. I should have another tetanus, because of gardening.
Hi, I think they only show jabs etc. given at the gp's and not at hospital. I can also only see blood test results requested by the gp and not through the diabetic clinic.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You will not see any test results from
Any hospital or anywhere other than the GP if your GP service has not authorised it..

I was the trial patient at my GP practice...
I got diagnosed with cancer whilst I was the trial patient given full access to rad notes written to Dr by Consultants...
My consultant had not told me my life expectancy expectation but he wrote it to the GP. This was how I found out my prognosis... no conversation, but by finding out online. My GPs did not grant full access to Patients after the mishandling by the Consultant at the Cancer Unit.... he should have told me but didnt.

All patients could still see the basics of appts (coded text) and results from tests organised by GP. But NOT consultants letters scanned or emailed to the GP system.

Our GPs could not rely upon the Consultants to give full data to patients
So full access was restricted.

That is why I now ask all consultants to copy me letters to GPs.......

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info @donnellysdogs; what you have outlined there gives a good example of what I suspect explains why my surgery restricts patient access. I shall have to remember to ask for any hospital consultation reports to be copied to me.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no doctors' or hospital notes available on my records. It's just data. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and looking at the records I can see, you'd never know.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still waiting for my GP surgery to get into the 21st Century. We used to be able to book Drs appointments on line until they decided we were using it too often so now we are interrogated by the receptionist who decides whether we get to actually see the dr or have a telephone appointment

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some chronic, bad experiences still happening at GPs!! My goodness, I thank my lucky stars!

If any of your GP Practices actuay have a Patient Participation Group it is worthwhile getting involved...