Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I drink a lot of tea which has half of the caffeine of coffee and neither has any discernible effect on my bg. There are other drinks, cola, red bull, monster etc which have high levels of caffeine but as I never drink these I do not know how they would affect my bg. Sometimes I suspect that one can go too far in the attempts to attain low or zero carbs. There is no debate, however, on giving up tea, it's just not gonna happen.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is only so much I will give up in the name of diabetes and coffee is not one of them.

I've quit multiple times and see no difference in bs. So of course I've resumed ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: dbr10

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Nespresso and green tea are both my caffine sources and happy places, since diabetes took bread and Haribos away. No way I'm giving up coffee/caffine!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Coffee has never had any detectable impact on my blood sugar. I would suggest focusing on all the other things that certainly do increase blood sugar...while drinking a nice coffee.

Reactions: MissMuffett
D

Deleted member 308541

Get some of this into ya, beats Nescafe and International roast as a heart starter.

360276.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just keep drinking your coffee with plenty of cream and keep the carbs right down - they're the culprits in raising glucose levels ... You need to get your priorities right!

Robbity

• Agree

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Earlier this summer I underwent an all-day water deprivation test (under hospital supervision, I hasten to add) which required avoiding caffeine for the 24 hours preceding the test, and then no water or food during the first 8 hours of the test.

Not counting the desperation to drink, the absolute WORST thing was the cracking headache that developed the day I was avoiding caffeine which worsened and worsened over the day of the test, compounded as it was by dehydration.

I felt so absolutely awful that I vowed by midday on the day of the test to give up caffeine altogether for life. After all, if it makes you feel that awful to give it up, surely it can't be a good move to be consuming it in the first place.......?

Well, my vow lasted until 4pm, when I was at last allowed to drink measured amounts of water AND cups of tea. That tea was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

I drink tea and coffee with gay abandon. My crazy vow to give them up is something I'm putting down to delirium induced by caffeine withdrawal and dehydration...........
;)

PS Coffee does spike me, though. Useful if my blood sugar is on a steady slow drop down - otherwise I find I need to bolus for it.

P

pollensa

Coffee has never had any detectable impact on my blood sugar. I would suggest focusing on all the other things that certainly do increase blood sugar...while drinking a nice coffee.

Exactly, and the one thing that increases blood sugar which is not targeted and focused upon sadly by the Medical Professional is Insulin Resistance, for goodness sake wake up Diabetes world, when are you going to treat the CAUSE which is INsulin Resistance, instead of the SYMPTOM, which is High Sugars, which are actually caused by the Insulin Resistance.

Best way to do this, eat keto low carb, exercise walk walk and more walk, and intermittent fast min 4 days a week its so easy.

Coffee, I agree despite what the so called experts recommend, if drank natural, no sugar or milk, does not make any difference I like yourself, although only pre diabetic, does not raise sugars, infact, I dont even test my fingers, daily, only three monthly, and the proof of drinking coffee not affecting levels, is my numbers are more or less the same, and consistent with only one number up or down, so its not a good day, luck of the draw, but a space of three months, and drinking coffee inbetween, results, in little or no difference on my levels, fasting, random any time after breakfast and or 2 hour after eat...all normal normal normal....

I agree with you!

Mallorca

Reactions: KeredG

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't smoke. I don't do recreational drugs. I don't drink alcohol. I don't eat chocolate anymore. I don't eat sweets, cakes, bread, pastry, or anything like that.
So I'm going to hold on to my coffee vice for as long as I can make a cup of the lovely stuff! In fact, I'm going to push the boat and go and make an unheard of second cup, just because someone told me not to !

Reactions: pleinster

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my age 76 I only need a cup of strong dark roast coffee in the afternoon .to keep me going
The rest of the day till 11 pm. Besides coffee I only drink herb tea.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I quit coffee and in particular caffeine for a while just to see if I would sleep better - at the time I was having difficulties. It didn't seem to matter in regard to my control as a Type 1. Anyway, that lasted about a year and I'm drinking coffee again but not as much as I used too.....