Glicazide

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
My gp has put me on 80mg glicazide a day to reduce my numbers. However, when looking it up I can't find it mentioned in any of my books, Bernstein mentions gliperamide, is this the same.

Also as it encourages insulin production will it make me put on weight?

Thanks in advance

Jane

Grazer

Hi Jane!
You can't find it because you're spelling it wrong. It's "Gliclazide"
You can google it, or look it upon wikipedia
Good luck

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Gliclazide

I take 40 mg Gliclazide on top of 2550 mg of Metformin and have been taking it for about 18 months. I found that it lowered my fasting levels by 1 - 1.5 mmol/L. As long as you low carb, then it doesn't necessarily mean that you gain weight. I have lost a stone since Christmas by cutting carbs. The downside of gliclazide is that it makes your pancreas work harder and produce more insulin, which isn't necessarily the best thing for your worn out pancreas.

desidiabulum

Just to confirm what Denise wrote -- I switched to Gliclazide 5 months ago and have actually lost weight since (partly by upping exercise levels). Once your numbers are down, if you can tolerate Metformin it would be better for you overall, though (for the reasons Denise gave).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although Gliclazide does often cause weight gain it doesn't always and hasn't for me over the years. I think if it does make your pancreas produce more insulin then weight gain is likely. If you have a knackered pancreas like me it has little effect on weight or insulin production

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

You are so right Grazer - with the correct spelling all was revealed! If I had a brain cell it could be dangerous.lol

Reactions: Peckj02

Grazer

Serena51 said:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

You are so right Grazer - with the correct spelling all was revealed! If I had a brain cell it could be dangerous.lol

Don't worry! My mum always said if my brains were made of dynamite, I still couldn't blow my nose off!