gliclazide and an HGV licience

cfsuey

Hi, does anybody know if you can still drive while HGV class 1 vehicles while taking Gliclazide. Thanks, Sue

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sue,

Yes you can but you must notify DVLA and promise to test before driving etc. Give them a ring and they will send you a form to fill in (be careful you answer the questions right!!)
More information here...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/Annex 3 changes to Diabetes update.aspx

There is a PDF document you can download somewhere on the website that lists everything you have to notify them about but I can't remember where I found it (Gov websites always seem confusing to me!!). I rang them when I went on Glic and found them very helpful, but before they had got that bit updated I ended up re-diagnosed as a type 1 so I had to go on insulin. I have just had 5 months without driving coaches while I had the enforced 3 months off to collect the tester readings to prove I am in control. Consultant filled in the medical forms yesterday so hopefully I may soon be back on the road.

Regards
Angie

havoc-1922

Glicacide is fine as posted above.
Dont bank on getting your psv or hgv back soon--ive been off the road(hgv) for 6 months--now they have revoked my license as i havn,t got any 2 hourly results--ermm they told me not to drive hgv,s on the 26th jan !! appeal time on monday,if no joy legal advice then on to local MP i think--cost me over £12000 and counting hireing drivers so far.
Type 2 on insulin
NB:Independent consultant on the 23rd May,agreed with my Dr (who is also a Diabetic Consultant) that they were happy for me to drive hgv,s again(no hypo,s ever,fully aware of the symptons,never needed outside help) phoned dvla on the 10th June to be told if you dont hear by the first week in September,phone us again due to the backload of applications,received letter yesterday !
NOT A HAPPY BUNNY.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
scottish-jim,
Are you reading my mind!! I was just looking at that document and thinking of putting a link to that page on here!!
Spooky :shock:

Angie

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
My employer is happy to put me through my HGV, all well and good you say. Well they asked me first if I think I will be allowed with diabetis. (I think they were trying to take the mick as they are like that). But I had read loads of information from website forums like this to be quite confident and said 'YES'.
My manager started the ball rolling with HR. 1st was the medical form. I asked at my local GP and to fill in the DVLA medical form they wanted £150 + VAT! I was a bit hessitant and went back to my manager with this information. He said don't worry the company will imbuse me, But I was still miffed with having to fork out £150+ and wait for reimbursment. He then said that he used a company called 'Doctors On Wheels' and cost just £57 +VAT! (a bit of a snip I thought, won't be much good).
WRONG! They use a campervan in a motorway service station near to where ever you live. When you book, you have to pay by credit card and they send you confirmation, booking info and receipt by post. You must have as much information ready for the doctor to fill in including a list of medication and a sample. Forms filled and sent off to DVLA.
After about 6 weeks I had all my application sent back as I had enclosed a photo by mistake as their infomation wasn't clear. I sent it all back again. Another 6 weeks and they sent another form asking if I had any of the tablets included in a list. Gliclazide being one. Also with this letter there was an advert for disability converted cars. I wrote to DVLA about this ad, stating that diabetis does not always mean adapting a car/lorry for disabilities! They did appologies for the advert. Another 8 weeks later and another letter from DVLA saying they were waiting for my doctor to reply to them, could i speak to my doctor asking them to reply to DVLA's letter. They had also sent a medical form confirming the medication I was taking. I had to ask my doctor why they had not replied. They said they hadn't received a letter from DVLA. I contacted DVLA to let them know they hadn't received a letter. Another coupel of weeks later my GP booked me an appointment so they could ask me some questions about how i'm dealing with my diabetis and what tablets i'm taking and at what times. All forms filled in and signed. It took another 4 weeks before my licence arrived. They have stipulated that I must do regular BG monitoring and carry emergency dextrose sweets or drink which I always carry anyway. Theory test booked for Sept 14th!