Gliclazide and Januvia

Survivor53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Been 18 years type 2, originally was on half a Gliclazide, put onto Gliclazide twice a day in 2014, then recently onto one Januvia only. Now put onto one Januvia and one Gliclazide daily, anybody on this split medication, side effects if any and did it work for you?

Thanks Peter...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, that's an unusual cocktail of meds.

They are both designed to lower blood glucose levels.

Januvia is a Gliptin that helps create more insulin, to reduce the initial spike from a meal.
Glicizide is also designed to up your insulin levels after eating to lower blood glucose levels. It is a sulphonyleras type drug.

You may have Hyperglycaemia, needing these drugs.

If you read the information leaflet it will tell you to be wary of hypoglycaemia.

During your journey, is there any reason why carb restriction never worked for you?

Can you give us an idea of what you are eating.

Best wishes.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can add to your cocktail, currently taking Metformin 1*850 3 times a day, Januvia 1 a day, Forxiga 10mg 1 a day and Gliclazide 1*80mg twice a day. They tried me on the once weekly injection (forget the name) and my body just didn't absorb the drugs fast enough and my BG levels shot back up to pre-diagnosis levels. Haven't had many side effects, although my weight loss seems to have stopped which is annoying, but as long as it doesn't start to go up again......

Survivor53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for both replies, I eat very well and healthily, reduced my carbs, so no longer eat potatoes, rice or pasta, biggest problem I have is that I work nights, and with a part time afternoon job, so sleep times are difficult and irregular, and I don't always feel like eating so when I do I sometimes eat too much...Just wanted to see how the combination of both drugs work, only been a few days on this so far so too early to say...