Glimepiride and diarrhoea

Zana

My husband has been on Eurcreas and glimepiride since January without any side effects but the glimepiride was increased from 1 mg to 2 mgs daily recently and soon after he began to have diarrhoea. He mentioned it to the doctor and was told that it would clear up in due course if it was caused by the medication.

For the last two weeks he has had stomach cramps together with very severe diarrhoea and is unable to eat anything other than plain bread and cup a soups. Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to glimepiride? It would be good to know if anyone has recovered after suffering such side effects without changing their medication.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Glimepride is a Sulphonylurea.
Side-effects of sulphonylureas are generally mild and infrequent and include gastro-intestinal disturbances such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and constipation.

Eurcreas ( otherwise known as Vildagliptin)
Side-effects nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea (usually transient), abdominal pain, taste disturbance; peripheral oedema; headache, tremor, anorexia, asthenia, dizziness; less commonly constipation; hypoglycaemia; rarely hepatic dysfunction (see also Liver Toxicity above); lactic acidosis (withdraw treatment), decreased vitamin-B12 absorption, erythema, pruritus, and urticaria; very rarely nasopharyngitis; upper respiratory tract infection, arthralgia, and hepatitis also reported.

In view of the fact that both of the Drugs appear to have some side effects such as you state. and also this has been going on for two weeks ? This does not seem a mild side effect. The drugs may need changing ?

I would advise that you contact your GP ASAP and discuss this.

Ken.
Ken.

Zana

Thanks for your reply Ken. My husband has had the diarrhoea longer than two weeks but it has been much worse recently. The doctor was not really interested when he asked him about it.

What I really wanted to know is whether anyone else has had similar symptoms and had recovered and been able to continue with their medication. We're in a difficult situation as my husband went to the UK for treatment and will leave again early next week. The doctor is unavailable for appointments for a month and is the only one who deals with diabetics. Here we have to pay for treatment.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Pesistent diarrhoea isn't good, it can deplete minerals and cause dehydration. Has your husband tried Imodium, which is available over the counter? Ask a pharmacist, whether there's any risk of an interaction.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Zana said:
Thanks for your reply Ken. My husband has had the diarrhoea longer than two weeks but it has been much worse recently. The doctor was not really interested when he asked him about it.

What I really wanted to know is whether anyone else has had similar symptoms and had recovered and been able to continue with their medication. We're in a difficult situation as my husband went to the UK for treatment and will leave again early next week. The doctor is unavailable for appointments for a month and is the only one who deals with diabetics. Here we have to pay for treatment.

Zana. I have no idea where you actually are but you should not leave this. You must see another
GP ASAP. Even a drop in clinic would be better than nothing.

Ken.

Zana

Thanks for the replies. I've passed on the advice to my husband.

My husband hasn't changed his diet since being on his medication. The only difference has been in the increase in dosage of the glimepiride so that is why I am assuming this is what is causing the problem.

Trinkwasser

May be coincidence, depending where "abroad" you are it may be some form of infection, or some other factor. Either way a doctor visit would be a good plan.

Zana

Yes it could be coincidence. My husband seems to be a little better now so I hope he is on the mend. He has been in England for the past four months so he hasn't picked up an infection from the tropics. We live in Europe.

Trinkwasser

Zana said:
Yes it could be coincidence. My husband seems to be a little better now so I hope he is on the mend. He has been in England for the past four months so he hasn't picked up an infection from the tropics. We live in Europe.

You'd be amazed how many obnoxious things you can catch in a hospital here! Last time the doctor called I threatened to hose her down before I'd let her in <G>

Zana

I know. My husband's stepmother picked up an infection after an operation and had to have a second operation to clean out the wound. Not funny.