Type 1 Gluco Juice / New half sugar Lucozade

Trish_Clarky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! I always relied on Lucozade to sort out mild low blood sugar episodes and still keep gallons of it in my car! I knew exactly how much to have according to the BS reading, normally folllowed by half a digestive. However, due to the 'sugar tax' Lucozade now has half the sugar and I've been struggling to deal with hypos effectively. Plus, I have to buy twice as much! I came across Gluco Juice available from chemists and wondered if anybody else has used it to treat hypos? How much would you have for a e.g. 3.9 reading? I know everyone's different, but thought I'd ask as a guide!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Trish_Clarky . Just a suggestion, I use glucose powder ( Holland and Barrett) mixed with orange cordial.
Perhaps you could add glucose powder to your Lucozade, it's not overly sweet and works really quick.
Guess trial and error to determine amounts you might need.
3 teaspoon in half pint of cordial and water works great for me in hypo situation, but we're all different.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much would you have for a e.g. 3.9 reading? I know everyone's different, but thought I'd ask as a guide!
If I was 3.9mmol/l then I wouldn't want to be consuming any more than 8g carbs - that would land me around 6mmol/l.

From what I can see, that Glucojuice is quite pricey at £1.29 for a 60ml bottle containing just 15g carbs. I personally use Dextrose Tablets (Dextro Energy) and they cost around 80p per packet and contain around 40g carbs. Each tablet comes in at around 3g carbs; so it's very easy to tailor an accurate amount of carbs to raise your BG to where you want it to be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I came across Gluco Juice available from chemists and wondered if anybody else has used it to treat hypos? How much would you have for a e.g. 3.9 reading? I know everyone's different, but thought I'd ask as a guide!

Hi Trish.

I decided to buy some Glucojuice not long after starting on a pump, instead of buying it from the high-street chemist chains like Boots I bought a dozen bottles from Amazon, it works out a lot cheaper than buying them individually and the postage was free.

Glucojuice does work extremely fast and is great for treating hypo's, but for a bg reading of 3.9 I would just use Glucotabs ( unless my bg was dropping like a stone with insulin-on-board). That's what I would do but if you'd prefer to use Glucojuice just experiment and you'll eventually find the answer to your question.

Reactions: Trish_Clarky

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trish, I found packs of lucozade cans in Asda. Six in a pack so I bought 4. I've been rifling through shelves everywhere for the good old stuff. The only problem with cans is once it's open you can't put the lid back on. I guess you could pour it into a bottle.

Reactions: Trish_Clarky

Trish_Clarky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Trish, I found packs of lucozade cans in Asda. Six in a pack so I bought 4. I've been rifling through shelves everywhere for the good old stuff. The only problem with cans is once it's open you can't put the lid back on. I guess you could pour it into a bottle.
Oo that's interesting...I'll have to go to Asda to check it out! Thanks!!