GlucoRx needles

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just go with devices and they'll tell you if it's wrong and move it to the right one.
Just to let you know that I have been able to apply for a Yellow Card and written my concerns about these needles. I have had a notice back saying it has been registered, whether I get a response from the manufacturers is extremely unlikely in my view. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Odin004 and tigger

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will know after 2 pm tomorrow if i have been successful getting BD needles back without a gp appointment. I've had to discard a few gluco needles today because they bent as i screwed them on. I've never thrown the others away so it seems false economy to me
Good luck and let me know how you get on and if you're successful!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now funny enough.. I've seen the BD micros on some occasions push out from the 4mm position when screwing to the pen due to the plastic body of not gripping the needle, thus pushing it out due to resistance in the rubber membrane on the insulin cartridge?
I've changed the needle imidiatly, testing the replacment as I normally do with an "airshot."

The needle left in your skin. Was this after single use? (Silly question I know. But needs to be asked.)
I'm a bit late in replying I too do the little shot first before drawing up my dose, as this was my breakfast insulin it was the first time I used that particular needle!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had to discard a few gluco needles today because they bent as i screwed them on.
I'm not understanding this. My Gluco Rx 5mm are supplied in a sturdy 'holder' which allows the needle to be screwed on, the holder then removed for injection, and the 'holder' then used for needle removal. Easy peasy.
Are yours different ?
Geoff

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The problem that I and other people seem to have with them is that the needle not only bends but comes away from the main body of the needle.I'm concerned about this because the needle stayed in my leg once I'd taken my pen away after injecting. As you can imagine I find this really dangerous as I had to remove the needle using a pair of tweezers. I'm pleased that you haven't had any problems with these needles!

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Geoff, it's the needle coming out of the 'sturdy holder' and remaining in my leg i.e. the needle has completely come away from the clear plastic holder for the needle!
The needles in your picture don't seem to be the GlucoRx, the needles that we're concerned about have a yellow paper seal on the top, none of the ones in your picture are them!
Tasha

Tasha61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any issues have a word with your Consultant/DSN if under a hospital diabetes clinic, they'll write to your Dr and ask that your prescription is changed back to the BD Microfine needles. Good luck.
The last time I went to my Diabetic Clinic I spoke to my Consultant and she gave me a handful of my usual needles that I've been using for last 20+ years!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem that I and other people seem to have with them is that the needle not only bends but comes away from the main body of the needle.I'm concerned about this because the needle stayed in my leg once I'd taken my pen away after injecting. As you can imagine I find this really dangerous as I had to remove the needle using a pair of tweezers. I'm pleased that you haven't had any problems with these needles!

Hi Tasha,

Most of these needles are the same principle & almost identical in design. The manufacturing process depending on brand maybe different? Sometimes it's just down to a company having a "licence" to produce a patented design?

I stated earlier on in the thread that I've noticed sometimes in my experience that the needles push out a millimetre or possibly even a fraction of that? I don't have a gauge. (Though my reading glasses helped spot it at the time.)
Lol, actually I currently work in engineering so have access to an accurate calibrated gauge though not hygienic..

Though it is logical that an unnoticed loose needle could draw through the plastic screw fitting &'stay in the skin regarding your own experience.
Which is indeed worrying..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The last time I went to my Diabetic Clinic I spoke to my Consultant and she gave me a handful of my usual needles that I've been using for last 20+ years!

That's good but you should also get them to write to your gp surgery and say your having issues with the GlucoRx needles, life with diabetes can be hard enough without having to put-up with problematic needles.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Geoff, it's the needle coming out of the 'sturdy holder' and remaining in my leg i.e. the needle has completely come away from the clear plastic holder for the needle!
You've lost me again. I screw the sturdy holder over the threaded end of my FlexPen. I pull the sturdy holder away from the FlexPen, leaving a less sturdy plastic part holding the needle. I inject, then use the sturdy holder, by pushing it over the needle, to grip the less sturdy plastic part and unscrew it. The needle and less sturdy part are now inside the sturdy holder, and all together they end up in my sharps bin.
Perhaps you could find a picture of yours ?
Geoff
p.s. my picture may not be of Gluco Rx but it does look like my Gluco Rx. Two sturdy holders with their less sturdy plastic part (with it's needle) and a less sturdy part on its own.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
it is logical that an unnoticed loose needle could draw through the plastic screw fitting &'stay in the skin regarding your own experience.
Which is indeed worrying..
Perhaps I'm blessed with baby skin :joyful:
Geoff

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've lost me again. I screw the sturdy holder over the threaded end of my FlexPen. I pull the sturdy holder away from the FlexPen, leaving a less sturdy plastic part holding the needle. I inject, then use the sturdy holder, by pushing it over the needle, to grip the less sturdy plastic part and unscrew it. The needle and less sturdy part are now inside the sturdy holder, and all together they end up in my sharps bin.
Perhaps you could find a picture of yours ?
Geoff
p.s. my picture may not be of Gluco Rx but it does look like my Gluco Rx. Two sturdy holders with their less sturdy plastic part (with it's needle) and a less sturdy part on its own.

I get you..
I just unscrew the used needle. Use the "sturdy holder" with the tab removed to screw the new needle onto the pen.
Remove, Then like a magician use the current sturdy holder to cover the old needle & sharps bin it..
Any change on needle always making sure the thing is square to the pen screw thread so it takes on the turn without potential "cross threading".... :)

Reactions: librarising

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
In the early days of injecting, we were told to always have a biro to hand, and if a needle broke to encircle it with biro until you could get it out with forceps or tweezers. I still do to this day, 40 years later, but never encountered the problem. Old habits die hard evidently, especially when perceived as sensible.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the early days of injecting, we were told to always have a biro to hand, and if a needle broke to encircle it with biro until you could get it out with forceps or tweezers. I still do to this day, 40 years later, but never encountered the problem. Old habits die hard evidently, especially when perceived as sensible.
I remember my dad doing this !

Reactions: bobcurly

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a problem with bruising with these needles, the bending was a pest too with insulin shooting all over the place, and the tips sliding in and out when trying to attach the needle to the pen, took my bruises to the Dr's and showed them at which point they put my Novo Fine needles back on my script, they apologised but that's not much use when they don't even bother to check with patients first before changing them in the first place.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been swapped back to BD microfine needles 4mm since I emailed the prescription manager my concerns about bleeding when injecting and bruises. To be fair to them they tried to limit the test strips I get - I emailed my concerns and they allow me to request more often. They gave me new needles - I tried didn't go well and they let me go back sooo...I am ok with prescription manager at the moment

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novo Fine for me. A box lasts me 2 years. Why would anyone let them "give" you cheapo needles? Just buy 'em yourself. You don't need a prescription there do you? Not here.