Glucose Levels Low

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I came off of metformin 10 Days ago because I was feeling very dizzy, even with the slow release version. Without the drugs I seem to have glucose Levels regulated with LCHF diet. Post meals (2hrs) I'm anywherefrom 4.2 to 5.5. However premeal they can be as low as 2.

I am sticking to around 120g carbs a day so not that low.

Pre LCHF diet my levels were at 7 to 9.

I am using the 2in1monitoring device which plugs into my android phone.

Should I be worried about the low values and take on board extra sugar?

Reactions: halmaxwell

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Hi

I came off of metformin 10 Days ago because I was feeling very dizzy, even with the slow release version. Without the drugs I seem to have glucose Levels regulated with LCHF diet. Post meals (2hrs) I'm anywherefrom 4.2 to 5.5. However premeal they can be as low as 2.

Have you contacted your doctor about this? I'd be inclined to speak to them in any event.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

If you are a T2D who does not take any medication that is known to have blood glucose lowering properties - then you should go to your GP, as you have another problem entirely.

What I am fairly concerned with though is the equipment you're testing your blood glucose with. I've never heard of this brand or device. For that reason, I'd be very sceptical and wary of the results you're getting. If your BG testing equipment does not fall in line with the most up to date ISO standards, you may not even be getting BGL's as low a 2mmol/l if the meter accuracy is well off.

Have a read of this, @tim2000s is very clued up on his tech so I'd "assume" that the device is sound, considering he has actually met the manufacturer. Take note on his comment about the test strips though, could you possible be using test strips that have been in use for >1 month?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/2in1-smart-glucometer.84254/

Reactions: canarypilot

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for both replies.just

Just to check the reliability of the 2in1 monitor, I have purchased another one; SD Biosensor Code Free.

I should get this by Friday so will come back and update this thread.

Reactions: azure

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So the new monitor arrived and I have compared it twice toiday to the android 2in1 monitor. There is a difference.

2 hrs after food atb10am and then 2pm

2in1 recorded 3.9 then 3.5

SD Biosensor recorded 6.3 and then 5.9.

So I'm more confused. Which monitor is correct?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the new monitor arrived and I have compared it twice toiday to the android 2in1 monitor. There is a difference.

2 hrs after food atb10am and then 2pm

2in1 recorded 3.9 then 3.5

SD Biosensor recorded 6.3 and then 5.9.

So I'm more confused. Which monitor is correct?
There is no way of telling which meter is giving a read-out closest to your true BG, I'm afraid.

Personally, If I were you, I wouldn't be using this "2in1" machine any more - I seriously doubt it's capabilities. You'd be unlikely to have BG's as low as 3.9mmol/l and 3.5mmol/l as a non-medicated T2D. Just my opinion though.

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no way of telling which meter is giving a read-out closest to your true BG, I'm afraid.

Personally, If I were you, I wouldn't be using this "2in1" machine any more - I seriously doubt it's capabilities. You'd be unlikely to have BG's as low as 3.9mmol/l and 3.5mmol/l as a non-medicated T2D. Just my opinion though.
My thoughts as well. I've gone through all the strips with the 2in1 and results just don't seem right

I will try an attach screen shot from the last few days so you can see variation.

a022d837410fe856374901edb51ab2c7.jpg

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My thoughts as well. I've gone through all the strips with the 2in1 and results just don't seem right

I will try an attach screen shot from the last few days so you can see variation.

Those post-prandial readings are exceptional! If they are accurate... Would you agree they're quite low?

I'd be going with the SD meter, a lot of T2's here use them and have positive experiences.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My only thought is potential reactive hypoglycemia. Do you feel your dropping after meals? I would take your bs every half hour to see if you spike then drop. Only a few meals should be sufficient. Otherwise I would agree it would be rare for a type 2 to have such low numbers.

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks again

I'm out of strips now for the 2in1 so I will see what happens with the SD metre over next few days.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just a thought, a while back my DN gave me a new meter (because the cost to them for strips worked out cheaper) and the results seemed a bit high so I tested against my old one which was substantially different. I told my local pharmacist who suggested I take them both in to her to check them against her one. So I went, did three tests and threw the new one away.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So maybe your local pharmacy will have a monitor you can check your two against.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought, a while back my DN gave me a new meter (because the cost to them for strips worked out cheaper) and the results seemed a bit high so I tested against my old one which was substantially different. I told my local pharmacist who suggested I take them both in to her to check them against her one. So I went, did three tests and threw the new one away.
Same with me. A 25 point ( US) difference. The meter I have coincides with my A1C and I trust it.

Unfortunately it's discontinued and replaced by one that didn't get good reviews. I bought over a years worth of strip haha.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those post-prandial readings are exceptional! If they are accurate... Would you agree they're quite low?

I'd be going with the SD meter, a lot of T2's here use them and have positive experiences.

GrantGam, I routinely run quite low, and regularly see numbers in the 3 and sometimes 2, using the SD Codefree. This wasn't my starting point, but once I got my diet in shape my numbers really moderated.

@canarypilot - what were you eating when you were seeing the low numbers? For me and omelette, or scrambled egg will almost assure a low post-prandial score.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GrantGam, I routinely run quite low, and regularly see numbers in the 3 and sometimes 2, using the SD Codefree. This wasn't my starting point, but once I got my diet in shape my numbers really moderated.

Out of curiosity @AndBreathe, do those lower values (<3.8mmol/l) actually mean a hypo? It's my understanding that those un-medicated don't really need to adhere to the lower end of the BG range; a little like a non-diabetic?

Reactions: Chook

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I don't believe that these are low enough to be RH!
If I'd had those post prandial numbers I would be really happy!
Some people can live quite comfortable with those levels.

The guidelines are just that, a guide, the differential in those numbers are good.
Unless, isn't there always a but! Unless you record lower numbers constantly, then I would always talk to your GP, but bear in mind you are prediabetic and those numbers are fine.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of curiosity @AndBreathe, do those lower values (<3.8mmol/l) actually mean a hypo? It's my understanding that those un-medicated don't really need to adhere to the lower end of the BG range; a little like a non-diabetic?

I've never taken any diabetes medication. I'm fine on the lower numbers, although when I get down to the mid-2s, it's usually before eating, so I might tend to be hungry, rather than anything else.

If my meal is just about to be dished up, I'll crack on and eat it. If food is stillo some time away, I'll just have a cup of tea with a bit of milk in it, just to take the edge off my hunger, but not spoil my meal.

My body seems to have settled at these levels. I do eat a reduced carb diet, but not as ninja as some others. I've never had a sweet tooth, so not having cakes is simply not an issue.

I have just been told to go gluten-free, which is adding a little something else into the label examination process, but it'll be fine.

My HbA1cs, since diagnosis are in my signature.

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2

@canarypilot - what were you eating when you were seeing the low numbers? For me and omelette, or scrambled egg will almost assure a low post-prandial score.
I'm on LCHF diet but not excessively low carbs; around 120g a day.