Glycemic index higher in the morning than in the evening

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have noticed that now I read an higher Glucose reading in the morning pefore breakfast, rather than in the evening two hours after dinner.

For instance This morning at none AM (Saturday!!!) I read 5,9 mmol/l, whet yesterday at 10 PM I read 5.8 mmol/l.

My supper wad: Tomato and peppers salad, grilled cauliflowers, a Saint Marcelin cheese and 20 g of bitter chocolate, so a low response is expected.

Is this the so called dawn phenomenon? Maybe I have to talk with my GP.
I have had a visit with the family cardiologist, and seems that I have like my dad and my grandma a primary hypertensions, with visible typical signs on the heart ultrasound. I've noticed it by chance and asked my GP gave me blood pressure lowering pills, that almost worked (read I'm not risking a trip in a van kith flashing blue lights and a siren to the nearest A&E).

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

A couple of thoughts.
- I think you are referring to BG not GI. GI is the measure of how fast foods are typically digested. BG is the amount of glucose in your blood.
- within the error range of home meters, 5.8 and 5.9 are effectively the same. At least, there is not enough difference to make any conclusions around dawn phenomenon.

Reactions: tsaghosh

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean a higher blood glucose reading rather than a higher glycaemic index? If not, I don't understand your question!

There is no material difference between 5.8 and 5.9. None at all.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of us have higher bg in the morning. We are generally most insulin resistant then as well.
We are more insulin sensative as the day goes on so many save our higher carb meals for later in the day to keep morning numbers lower

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was meaning BG level. I was expecting a lower glucose level in the morning rather after a meal.
@Bluetit1802 I was expecting a lower BG reading after 12 after eating because is what happened to me until this summer.
Eating low carb I was getting in the morning a level lower of 1.5-2.5 mmol/i respect the 2 hours after dinner value. i.e. was typical to get 7.5 mmol/l and then 5.5 or even 5 mmol/l fasting.

My idea is if something start to be different, it's better to check why.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was meaning BG level. I was expecting a lower glucose level in the morning rather after a meal.
@Bluetit1802 I was expecting a lower BG reading after 12 after eating because is what happened to me until this summer.
Eating low carb I was getting in the morning a level lower of 1.5-2.5 mmol/i respect the 2 hours after dinner value. i.e. was typical to get 7.5 mmol/l and then 5.5 or even 5 mmol/l fasting.

Fasting levels are unpredictable and unreliable due to a multitude of reasons, which is why doctors in the UK very rarely use it. I doubt you are experiencing dawn phenomenon, at least not to a significant degree. High 5s are still good levels. Keep on with your low carb, make sure you are getting enough good fats and plenty of water and it should go back to normal. One thing you could try is some intermittent fasting.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

So, Mike, you are telling us that your fasting used to be around 5-6 but your two hours post meal was around 7.5.

Your post meal figure has now improved so that it is identical to your fasting figure, which is still below 6.

That sounds like very good news all round.

Has your fasting figure gone up consistently? I'm not sure that it is anything to worry about compared to your much better results post meal.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has your fasting figure gone up consistently? I'm not sure that it is anything to worry about compared to your much better results post meal.
Yes, this is my concern. My after meal figures are gone down because i have found th foods that made me spiking, like figs, rice and potatoes and stop to eat them or reducing the consumption.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In your shoes, I would not really worry about it too much. Getting numbers in the high fives consistently is good control, especially for the after meal counts. Just keep a watchful eye on fasting levels if you must bu as I said already personally I would not be too concerned

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyway yesterday I tested after two hours dinner, I got 7,3. This morning I got a fasting level of 5.4. Anyway I'll contiue to keep an eye on variations and the next HBa1C

Reactions: kokhongw

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Mate, you have this under control. Morning readings are vague. Readings after sport are also misleading,i get high readings immediately but a more realistic reading after 30 minutes. When I dont drink enough before bed in fear of a late night wee i get higher morning readings. After rude things its high too. Yeah i did test for the "fun of it"

Daily testing is useful to identify what foods do to you. If your hba1c is good then relax and enjoy the nice things in life

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app