Go, Snapsy, go! Moral support requested!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks,

I'm not asking for money! Please read on!
I'm running the BM10k tomorrow morning, which is part of the Brighton Marathon event.

I'm having a great time visualising who is metaphorically going to be cheering me along the streets and seafront of Brighton tomorrow morning, and I'd love to know that some of you are 'there', too, so I can 'see' YOU cheering me on! So I'd like you to read my story so you know what I'm talking about.

This is not a request for sponsorship, but I'd really love you to read my story, which I've linked to at the bottom of this post. Don't worry, if you click on it you will not be made to donate, or expected to donate - it doesn't work like that. You can just read it without obligation!
You'll find it at the bottom.

The shorter version
I was letting my diabetes rule my life.
I turned 40.
I wanted to get fit.
I felt I couldn't manage exercise and micromanage diabetes at the same time.
I got a pump.
I did a lot of trial and error and hard work and training.

Okay, so I've slightly knackered my foot.
AND I've caught a cold.

BUT...

...I'm running the BM10k in Brighton tomorrow, and I'm doing this BECAUSE I CAN.
I never could have even CONSIDERED this until I got my pump. Don't get me wrong - I know and respect many, many, many other people with type 1 diabetes who do do this kind of thing - but that's never been me.
I've always worried, and panicked, and feared for my life, and NOT exercised. Not run. Not dared to. Until now!!!

So, this is a massive, massive deal for Snapsy. Can I count on your metaphorical cheers and support on the sidelines? Thanks, friends. That's what I'm asking you for in this post.

To reiterate - I am NOT posting this in order to boost my sponsorship campaign - for one thing, the cause I am fundraising for is not diabetes-related. Only the 'me' bit of it is diabetes-related, because I'm doing it in celebration of my pump-induced confidence - but the cause I have picked is not to do with that, but is nevertheless close to my heart in this village community.

BUT do please have a read of the story - if only to have a good giggle at the pictures of madcap Snapsy in training. There's the main story on there, plus some updates - so do keep reading once you've clicked the link.

So, my lovely metaphorical sideline supporters:
  • Cheering and whooping, and shouts of 'Go, Snapsy, go!' (if only to yourself) will be appreciated between the hours of 8.30am and 10.30am tomorrow.
  • If you hum the theme tune to 'Rocky', that's my 'keep going' music, so that WILL help me. ;)
  • There is a Brighton Marathon 2017 app if you would like to 'follow' my progress during the race*. You'll need to input my race number - it's in the snap below.
*I promise that I'll keep moving. You won't see me stopping at the pubs.

Thank you!

Love Snapsy
:)

The story: https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-church

GoSnapsyGo.jpg

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
done !!

how are you anyway ?
not spoke in a while >

I will be cheering you on -- you are a star !!!!!!!!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy. / Rebecca.
It goes without saying you will have the support of everyone on the forum. You have been and still are an inspiration to so many people on the forum.
Good luck from me for tomorrow, sunshine in Brighton and a PB for a 10k, it's going to be a great weeekend for you.
I'll pump some extra iron tomorrow so you're not alone on the " keep going it'll be worth it in the end".
ROCKY all the way.:):):)

Tony.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you go girl :)

Good luck :D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I flipping love you lot!

Just to clarify, this is what to hum:

Mr S has been encouraging me with this all the way through my training!

:joyful:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fabulous, it'll be a lovely day for a run tomorrow and I'm sure the atmosphere in Brighton will be pumping. Make sure you enjoy it :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sure you won't need it but good luck for tomorrow @Snapsy :)

Perhaps you and other runners may be interested in a half marathon that takes place on the 25 June in Swansea, Diabetes UK are trying to assemble the largest team of type 1 runners in the world to run the marathon, here is some info about it for anyone who is interested:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your...orld-record-for-runners-with-Type-1-diabetes/

Again good luck and hope your first passed the post.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be cheering you from afar @Snapsy . Last time I parked in Brighton it cost me £48 for the day!!
Had I known earlier I might have signed up and run with you - maybe next year, or the TW ½ marathon which I have not done for 30 years?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be cheering you from afar @Snapsy . Last time I parked in Brighton it cost me £48 for the day!!
Had I known earlier I might have signed up and run with you - maybe next year, or the TW ½ marathon which I have not done for 30 years?
Thanks for the cheer, @walnut_face !

Park and ride would have been £15 for the day, but we've been offered to park on a mate's drive, so that's brilliant! We parked for free at the marina yesterday (up to four hours) and walked from there - not parked there before but was pleasantly surprised. Not all that convenient for a day in town, mind, but to get to the marathon village it was very doable.

Parking in the main car parks can be an absolute fortune in Brighton!

I'm being dropped off tomorrow far enough away for a warm-up, then Mr S is in charge of parking..... and I hope to see him waving while I'm running! He's taking a camera (S stands for 'Snaps') so I might have an action shot to post tomorrow!

Just about to Google the TW half - heck, if I survive 10k then maybe 13.1 miles is a doable distance next time................. shall we?! Am sure it's one that some of my running club guys will be doing too.

:)

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@walnut_face 18th Feb next year for TW. Next BM10k will be 15th April. Or the Brighton half 25th Feb.

No pressure......!

;)