Go, Snapsy, go! Moral support requested!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@walnut_face 18th Feb next year for TW. Next BM10k will be 15th April. Or the Brighton half 25th Feb.

No pressure......!

;)
Something tells me TW will be the hillier of the two, but then if Brighton is Pier to Devils Dyke and back...... :D
I am certainly up for one of them, even though I have not been beyond 5k on tarmac for many a year. The only challenge I will duck is the Seven Sisters Marathon, done it once, never again

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A mate of mine's just registered (a couple of days ago) for the Beachy Head Marathon - I think that might be the Seven Sisters one - no WAY am I doing that!!!!!!!! I'd need quads like Big Daddy's to take on those hills........

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You inspired me to keep running when I hated the sugar rises afterwards and to learn to manage them, so Go, Go, Go Snapsy.

One of my friends did the Beachy Head one last year (she's mid 40s and only been running for 2years, but has the advantage of being non-d)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go @Snapsy, Go!

Good luck (not that you need it) and enjoy the event. :D

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was non-D (and young, and a squaddie) when I did the Seven Sisters (Feb 1982) ½ the course was akin to a cross country run and the cumulative accent was 7,200 ft over the 26 miles. The relative flat of London three months later was a doddle by comparison
@Snapsy it's just 2 parkruns back to back tomorrow, if you need to walk for a breather, that's OK, will be thinking of you

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy it's just 2 parkruns back to back tomorrow, if you need to walk for a breather, that's OK, will be thinking of you
That's what I keep telling myself! I think it'll all be fine - I'm only this overexcited because it's the first 'event' run I've done - the good thing is I'm already writing my future race wishlist because in my head - even if nowhere else - I can do this running lark.

Famous last words?! LOL! Naaaaaah, all will be well.

Routewise it's rather nice - when I reach the seafront it's just a single parkrun left to go!

:):):)

Reactions: daisyduck

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:) Good luck!!
I'm watching from the app :)
45f2f9480cfd8f1bbe941196970156cd.jpg

Reactions: Snapsy

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Only just seen this so by the time you read my comment you will have recovered from your run to some degree but as its currently 9:55 you are hopefully well on your way to the finish line.

But GO SNAPSY

There, I shouted as loud as I could and im now off to read your inspirational story.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I DID IT!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so, so, so much for your support - you were there all the way! And I loved every single moment of it!

I'm hoping to put a snap up later - but....... fanfare....... I do want to show you my time! I worked out (online, and based on my parkrun PB) that I am apparently capable of doing 10k in 1 hour 8 minutes

Ta-daaaaaaaaa!!!!

IMG_0871.PNG

I was chuffed with the 'gun' time - but then they uploaded the 'chip' time - which has blown my mind! As you can see it took a few minutes after the gun sounded to get over the actual start line and for my timing chip to kick in!

Adrenaline (not from running, but with sheer excitement) meant I started the race much higher than was ideal.
I knocked my pump back to 40% for the duration, rather than the 50% I do with a 5k (I thought that would cover all bases in terms of endurance).
As it happens I was - according to my Libre - between 10 and 12mmol/l all the way round (my Libre does read high though). That was fine, and I'd MUCH rather I was 12 than 3, to be honest - so I made sure I had a small bolus when I'd stopped, and I've got a TBR of 150% running, and I'm steadying up at around 8mmol/l right now.

I'm on my sofa - still with my trainers on - in a pain-free position with my feet up. My foot was absolutely fine, but 4km in I started getting muscle pain in my lower legs - but not enough to want to stop. My best mate is about to bring me a kilo of Epsom salts to put into a lovely warm bath - apparently that will help to ease the extraordinary stiffness! Hurts when I move, doesn't hurt when I don't. Frankly I shan't be moving for a while.....

BRIGHTON ON MARATHON DAY IS AMAZING. The crowds were so, so supportive, and I'm really glad I had my running vest printed with my name - that made such a difference! We walked along some of the marathon route on our way back, and cheered them on - there was such a buzz.

Thanks so much, folks! You're smashing!

Love Snapsy
xxx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations Snapsy, that looks an impressive pace too.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @Snapsy thats a brilliant time. Glad you enjoyed the atmosphere. Hope the Epsom salts do the trick. You'll be fine tomorrow, but look out for DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) on Tuesday!