Good Hba1c results 3 months in

Sawds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 in September and had Hba1c levels of 97 back then, have just had a consultants appointment and they are now 45! So pleased and even had compliments from the consultant which was good!

He has changed me from Gliclazide to metformin and I’m just wondering how this change in medicine will work? What can I do now that I couldn’t before, I’m aware hypos are less of a risk now?

I brought up the question of one day stopping the medication completely and the consultant even suggested the phrase ‘cured’ might be possible which I know is a rarity!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Excellent reduction. :)

Gliclazide works by making your pancreas produce extra insulin. As you are no longer taking this, you will be relying on your pancreas to produce enough, and hopefully it will. Metformin works differently. It works mainly on the liver, helping to reduce the amount of natural glucose it sends to the blood stream, so you may find fasting levels better. Without Gliclazide you may find post meal levels increase.

Reactions: Sawds

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations - you must feel ecstatic with such control!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Onwards and upwards! And hopefully further reductions in HbA1c. Well done!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
A brilliant result. the change of medication, with the change in the organ that it principally works on may mean that you bg levels are a little random when you start. Take it easy, go back to your food diary and treat it as a fresh start. You have done it once, you can do it again, particularly as you will be starting from a better position this time. Best wishes.