Good heart warming winter low carb food

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, so autumn is here, winter is coming and whilst I like salads, tis the season of stews, and other warmly meals. What's your very low carb choice?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't go wrong with a nice Stew or Homemade Soup.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hopefully whitby jet will be along soon with some great ideas, recipes ...
It is that time of year when we need to adapt our meals to warm us up
and keep us going too!
Stews, pot casserole, soups etc...
Anna.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite is slow cooked lamb with a grating of 100% cocoa at the end of cooking. Glossy and rich.

I've been experimenting in trying to get a crispy coat on various things and have finally come up with this.

A mix of "hard cheese' (the stuff we used to put on our spag bol in the 1970's), and seasoning (I used mustard powder, S&P, dried garlic and paprika). The bit that makes it crispy when cooked is a bit of arrowroot. I use it to dry coat chicken thighs and fishcakes (sans potatoes) and it comes out beautifully crispy.

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooooh, just remembered a dish that a friend of mine does but I don't know the exact recipe. She cooks beef in a 'sauce' that is almost a puree/soup of vegetables. Yum.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Curry goat. Mmmmmm.

Defren

borofergie said:
Curry goat. Mmmmmm.

Yuk!!

Good thread. I have been diagnosed since March so have had a pretty regular diet. I think it's time to bring the slow cooker out of summer hibernation and look for those warming comforting winter foods, but low carb versions. I love cooking and baking, so I will have fun trying out new recipe's. The family will just have to get used to being guinea pigs... eh I mean taste testers for me. :lol:

Libby; I love the sound of your crispy coating, I think I am going to have to give it a whirl. The only thing I don't have is arrowroot, so that is now on next weeks shopping list - thanks.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My pleasure Def.

I did a fishcake with river cobbler (incredibly cheap) mixed in with a mash of cauli and turnip. It is impossible to handle hot, it's just mush so I left it to go cold. It still needs careful handling and I just did a dry coating of it and fried them off. It does go really crispy but again, they need careful handling in the pan. Next time I'm going to try balls and deep fry them.
The chicken thighs were just put in a bag with the rub and massaged until well covered.

I used about 2 level tablespoons of the cheese to a teaspoon of arrowroot.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An oxtail cut up and put in a casserole dish with half a pound of lean beef cubed 1 veg stock cube and covered with water in a low oven for 2-3 hours Serve with celeriac and swede mash and loads of veg .It fills the house with mouth watering smells and tastes delicious
CAROL

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone got a good recipe for low-carb dumplings for adding to a slow cooker towards the end?

I'm really looking forward to doing stews with the cheap fatty cuts again... when I was pre-diabetic I had cut out all the nice fatty recipes and was following the low-fat mantra to the letter as per doctor's orders (and look where that landed me)...

Defren

Paul_c said:
anyone got a good recipe for low-carb dumplings for adding to a slow cooker towards the end?

I'm really looking forward to doing stews with the cheap fatty cuts again... when I was pre-diabetic I had cut out all the nice fatty recipes and was following the low-fat mantra to the letter as per doctor's orders (and look where that landed me)...

Now you're talking my language Paul. As a born and bred northerner, who has moved up and down the country a bit, dumplings should be crusty on top and fluffy in the middle. 100g of Atora suet is around 10g of carbs, so I wonder, if we made the dumplings with almond flour, and suet but smaller quantities, or larger if cooking for the family, would they be ok? My guess is yes, but I would prefer someone to trial them before I do. :lol:

Fraddycat

I had roast pork tonight with crackling, yummy. Served with cauli mash and carrots, my boys had mashed potato and carrots. Was so good, I love the cold weather it gives me and excuse to cook a roast dinner!

WhitbyJet

IanD porridge
Faux rice pudding
Beef and Leek Casserole
Steak pie
Beef Stew
Shepherds/Cottage pie
Lasagna (make your own pasta sheets, its easy to do)
Meatloaf
Beef & mustard cobbler
Beef Rendang
Mushroom Risotto
Balsamic Beef Casserole
Family roasts
Creamy liver, bacon and onions
Beef Stroganoff
Mushroom Stroganoff

All served with cauli rice, creamy, cheesy cauli mash/mixed veg mash, cabbage sauteed in butter, creamy green beans, cauli faux roast potatoes, flatbread for mopping up gravy, chips, bacon wrapped roast turnip/swede.............

If you use Atora and almond flour you will need to add a little bit of guar gum or the dumplings will dissolve.

This is a recipe that works very well too
http://kickingcarbs.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... ecipe.html

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
WhitbyJet said:
IanD porridge
Faux rice pudding
Beef and Leek Casserole
Steak pie
Beef Stew
Shepherds/Cottage pie
Lasagna (make your own pasta sheets, its easy to do)
Meatloaf
Beef & mustard cobbler
Beef Rendang
Mushroom Risotto
Balsamic Beef Casserole
Family roasts
Creamy liver, bacon and onions
Beef Stroganoff
Mushroom Stroganoff

All served with cauli rice, creamy, cheesy cauli mash/mixed veg mash, cabbage sauteed in butter, creamy green beans, cauli faux roast potatoes, flatbread for mopping up gravy, chips, bacon wrapped roast turnip/swede.............

Wow! Even in the UK there isn't enough winter to get through all that food!
Who says low-carb has to be boring?

Reactions: Ultramum

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bernstein's beef, green pepper and mushroom stew is delish, had it last night in fact!

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As it was such a miserable rainy day decided to make some dumplings today for my men, half with self raising flour and half with almond flour.

Wish I read this thread before doing so, as I never added the guar gum even though I have some. Those with the almond flour completely dispersed! My men ate the meat and the flour dumplings but wouldn't touch the meaty sauce! So please be aware, ADD some guar gum to your dumplings - the gravy was "grainy" and had a very strong taste of sweet almonds. Don't know whether in future to chance making the dumplings with the almond flour because of the strong almond taste, which to me does not go with a "beefy gravy".

Am I correct in thinking that ground almonds are the same as ground flour. Has anyone used coconut flour in their dumplings recipe?

I am still in the early stages of low carb cooking and feel I am struggling with complicated recipes, probably due to my age, but am getting bored with the steaks/chops/roasts and veg so want to try something different. No more easy peasy spaghetti bolognese or chilli con carne for the time being until I can find a substitute to pasta and rice.

WhitbyJet

Oh dear yes you do need to add gum to the dumpling mixture if you use almond flour. Add parsley flakes as well and you will get rid of the almond flavour.

You can make good scone toppings and also make a very nice substitute pasta.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunshine dont lose the spag bol cook as usual for your family and cook a bit of caulii and/ or celeriac (in same water) for yourself .Same with chilli or any other quick mince recipes
CAROL

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
SamJB, would you put the recipe for Bernstein's beef, pepper and mushroom stew in the recipe section please, thanks, Deb x