Good information from both sides

• Thread starter Deleted member 45091
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 45091

Hi all just a random blog from me a typical lad, had diabetes for 23 years now aged 33. I know a lot come on this forum for answers but il point this straight off I cant give you any, just wana throw in a couple thoughts, been on 2 injections a day Humilin M3 to be fair I do like it, was on it most of my life had a good hba1c had hypos but they was slow as when I was first diagnosed at 10 was always told to eat regular carbs back then I used to inject in my calf muscle, eating regular kept me more than good, few years back they suggested Nova rapid levimir glargine etc hated it never got on with it but that's my personal preference, so went back on to 2 injections a day, what I did find out and iam sure a lot of people will have answers, I used to get ketones very easy on the nova rapid stuff and find it very strong working, back on the 2 injections a day I very rarely get them even with high sugars like 20 or so. Got a few notes which a lot of people may know, but some of the things ive found out, point one ive had a good drink of beer the night before , my sugars was at 13 and when I kept correcting with nova rapid it never came down, and, I didn't eat made me feel really bad soon as I had something carby my sugars came back down to normal food must have a role to play. as it stands I love carbs id say if I calculate in grams id say I eat around 300 aday bread pasta don't do sweets or anything like that well not really, never get ketones as I eat regular and normally at set times which suits me. ive always drank beer but found out smoking is a lot more harmful which I now do, so may have to calm down on that, had abit of laser in the eye recently sure its down to smoking and only been at it for a few years but do hit them hard, noticed the cholestral gone up a lot, so id definatley against smoking the most, also one last thing excersise weve all heard it is good for you, but it really does help, aslong you got some good insulin in the system, if your on a low dose or bare minimum you may find the ketones kicking in very quick, so my daft summary is smoking is worse than drinking, eat regular and different things id say having the correct blood sugar is not always the priority having enough insulin to what your body wants and needs and covering the food too it. else I find I go tired weak pale etc and my blood sugars be fine, if I get the right amount of insulin and carbs I don't feel the need to snack etc and can go for a few hours or so. bit of a long message, Jerry springers final thought its not just the people with good living experiances or hba1c control that can give advice every diabetic has there own story and can give something to help others with there daily chore of this, on that note gona get another beer and its t time some.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edit. I thought you were a new guy by your post
Up to you what control over bg you want

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 45091

not sure what that reply means, just giving abit of my own personel experience

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not quite sure what your trying to say in your post Danny, but now that you have diabetic retinopathy you do need to take your diabetes serious otherwise the retinopathy will only get worse, so controlling your bg, bp and cholesterol levels are important as is stopping smoking.

Have a good read around the following website:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its not just the people with good living experiances or hba1c control that can give advice every diabetic has there own story and can give something to help others with there daily chore of this,

How true .:rolleyes:
We all also learn what not to do from other's experiences, and if we all had got it cracked, there would be no need for forums like this one ;)

Signy